What Do Lady Liberty, A Buffalo, And King James Have In Common? (return Update)

Awesome on the hammered coin. That is one sweet silver coin. With all that area available, you would need a group of detectorists to cover it for a year before it was slightly hunted out 😄 Nice finds that we don't get here very often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

1938 Buffalo nickel with a readable date! Yay.

Got to you early this time.  :laugh:  1936?  The only 1938 Buffie had a -D mintmark and yours has none.  (It would be under and between the 'E' in FIVE and 'C' in CENTS if it had a mintmark.)

Pretty cool cut coin find!  Are you close to Jamestown or other early Virginia Colonial settlements?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Awesome on the hammered coin. That is one sweet silver coin. With all that area available, you would need a group of detectorists to cover it for a year before it was slightly hunted out 😄 Nice finds that we don't get here very often.

Thanks, this is a small field, a brand new permission I got this morning. As I was leaving someone was shooting nearby so I guess turkey season has started... 😅 I agree though, I do have a lot of acres to go. 🙂

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Got to you early this time.  :laugh:  1936?  The only 1938 Buffie had a -D mintmark and yours has none.  (It would be under and between the 'E' in FIVE and 'C' in CENTS if it had a mintmark.)

Pretty cool cut coin find!  Are you close to Jamestown or other early Virginia Colonial settlements?

So glad you're there to correct me GB, thanks. 👍 🏆 I post before I research sometimes, this was a banner day. 🥳

Per my "contract" with my wife, a dinner in proportion to the find is forthcoming, thankfully she didn't want to go tonight. 😀 

Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg are mere peninsulas away. This peninsula was settled in the early 1600s by folks dissatisfied with Lords Baltimore and Calvert, they crossed the Potomac the other way and set up a life here. It's a very quiet and undeveloped area but is home to many famous people, at least their birthplace. It's very un-famous I guess.

Can't believe I got a hammered silver coin before I got some of the newer coins. 🤔 But the first coin bits I ever dug here were cut pistareens. 😎

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Wow, just incredible finds.

Thanks Rick!

As I've stated, the Deus 2 is "king" in Virginia. 😀 Most of the day I was just swinging the detector, then bam, then back to walking and swinging. Walking on corn stalks is an extra element of difficulty. 😵

The back two fields are pretty devoid of can slaw and junk, but it's a lot of quiet time, and without the lightest detector there is it would be a chore. It's not that I wouldn't find this with any SMF, or any other detector really, but less trash, more finds, and not wearing myself out is a bonus. 👍

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, kac said:

When you start picking up viking coins I think I might have a stroke. Way to go!

Haha, I think I might too. For all we know Captain John Smith himself probably crapped there, got scared by some natives or a wolf, and broke his belt running away. 🤣

• Haha 3

Awsome run again!🍀 Can you bottle some of that luck, and send it my way!?😁

Seriously though, I'd say location is key, but in your case, location aside, your hard work of mining land owners is the "secret" to your success! There are probably very few of us out there that have had the luck, and ba$$s big enough, to ask as much as you do for permissions! You earned it!!

Keep up the good work!! "May the clover be with you"!! (And it is, literally)!🍀👍👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1