Has Anyone Installed The 1.10 Version 3

DSMITH

52 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Thank you.   I appreciate you diving into these Betas and providing these reports, I know you have been on the front lines in this regard, so thank you again.  I was coming at it from the perspective that I can't remember everyone's routine, so the report posts need to stand on their own to help the reader, especially for those readers who might be "tuning in" for the first time.  Thanks for filling in those gaps with the additional info, answering my questions, and, most of all, not taking offense at all the questions. 

I probably overreacted to the multiple install thing but that was directed at Nokta - the update Beta's should simply be providing us with almost ready for prime time operating software and no cut corners or sloppiness should be tolerated in the install routines at this point.  I know that they had issues early on with update program compatibility and I thought those had been addressed.  And, while it is always possible for an update to hiccup during the install process, that situation should not result in an indicated "successful" update because checksums or other error detection methods should be used to identify a failed install and revert back to the previous SW configuration.  And there never should be a situation where three installs are needed to get it right without flagging any errors.   If the glitch results in the machine ending up in an unknown state due to an added feature or setting, then a factory reset should take care of that.  As I said, hopefully, this is not indicative of sloppiness in the update routine and that it gets addressed.  It's hard enough to get users through it when everything is working correctly.

Here is something else for you to ponder and i am still scratching my head on

before I downloaded the Beta test version 3, I checked the updater tool that was already on my PC that was for the Beta test version 2, the Beta test version 3 was already in that updater tool and the Beta test version 2 was gone, which like I stated I am still scratching my head as to how the new Beta 3 test version got there before I downloaded it, I did go ahead after checking the previous update tool download the beta test version 3 and used the new download though, I just found it strange that it was already there with out downloading it

5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Understand what you are saying, but it does not make sense at all that Nokta is doing that intentionally or even unintentionally.   And if that really is the case - that's not a good reflection on Nokta's update utility configuration control.  If the install utility is wonky, the last thing I want to do is to have to repeatedly install an update and risk bricking the machine on every install, requiring it to be sent in for service.  So I'm just hoping the multiple install thing is not real.  And recommending that users do that without Nokta acknowledging the issue is a risky proposition for that very reason.

Chase here is the thing with this statement every time someone has had issues similar to what I am describing, Dilek and Nokta has suggested to do a reinstall and a factory reset, so for me it has become common place to do both before contacting them I understand what you are saying about bricking the legend but, what I have just stated is Nokta's recommendations each time before activating a service ticket, about an issue, so any more i just attempt a few re installs before contacting Nokta, I will say Nokta has always been vary quick about responding to issues which I absolutely love about them, the only other company that I am aware of that has that kind of customer service is Garrett, there may be others but I have not had to deal with service issues with others.

They've had a lot of problems with their flash tool from it not working for many people, to all these concerns about it not flashing properly.  It all seems so weird, the fact they tell people to factory reset before and after rather than the flash tool just doing that as part of the process and eliminating all these problems for the end user I don't understand.

Here is an example of a typical motherboard for a computer being bios flashed which is the same thing as firmware, I had to display it on an older motherboard being flashed from DOS as it's the easiest way to show the process on the screen at once with the details of the steps.

bios-standard-scale-4_00x-gigapixel.thumb.jpg.6964ed7d780c33dd374adf4475215b56.jpg

The process is simple, it checks the checksum to ensure the firmware it's about to flash is correct and not corrupted.

It erases the boot block which is a separate part of the bios rom that does the initial stages of starting up, then writes to it, verifies the write matches the expected checksum then moves on to erasing the main flash rom where the bios software is stored (the main firmware), writes it and verifies it to ensure it's correct, then moves onto the NVRAM which is where the firmware's settings from the user are stored along with time/date etc, now this is the part Nokta's firmware tool should be erasing if they feel it necessary the machine gets a factory reset as part of the firmware update, I don't get why if it's so important their firmware tool doesn't do it by itself thereby getting rid of all these problems end users get.  All they'd need is a "I agree" prompt that informs the user any previous settings will be erased as part of the firmware upgrade to ensure the upgrade works properly.

Their engineers are a bucket load smarter than me, but it seems a simple thing that they should be doing and is common practice for firmware upgrades to ensure smooth operation after them.  This seems especially logical on a detector that gets regular updates and users having plenty of issues getting them to work as they should.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

They've had a lot of problems with their flash tool from it not working for many people, to all these concerns about it not flashing properly.  It all seems so weird, the fact they tell people to factory reset before and after rather than the flash tool just doing that as part of the process and eliminating all these problems for the end user I don't understand.

Here is an example of a typical motherboard for a computer being bios flashed which is the same thing as firmware, I had to display it on an older motherboard being flashed from DOS as it's the easiest way to show the process on the screen at once with the details of the steps.

bios-standard-scale-4_00x-gigapixel.thumb.jpg.6964ed7d780c33dd374adf4475215b56.jpg

The process is simple, it checks the checksum to ensure the firmware it's about to flash is correct and not corrupted.

It erases the boot block which is a separate part of the bios rom that does the initial stages of starting up, then writes to it, verifies the write matches the expected checksum then moves on to erasing the main flash rom where the bios software is stored (the main firmware), writes it and verifies it to ensure it's correct, then moves onto the NVRAM which is where the firmware's settings from the user are stored along with time/date etc, now this is the part Nokta's firmware tool should be erasing if they feel it necessary the machine gets a factory reset as part of the firmware update, I don't get why if it's so important their firmware tool doesn't do it by itself thereby getting rid of all these problems end users get.  All they'd need is a "I agree" prompt that informs the user any previous settings will be erased as part of the firmware upgrade to ensure the upgrade works properly.

Their engineers are a bucket load smarter than me, but it seems a simple thing that they should be doing and is common practice for firmware upgrades to ensure smooth operation after them.  This seems especially logical on a detector that gets regular updates and users having plenty of issues getting them to work as they should.

Dam phrunt all that stuff is like me trying to read Chinese LOL you may be correct in what you are stating but personally I have absolutely no clue about it

Nokta never has told anyone to do a factory reset before installing the updates they just say to do the factory resets after you install the updates, I just started doing the factory reset prior to doing the new firmware updates, so everything was cleared out before I did the installs some one suggested it to me to do it that way when I was having other issues and it seemed to work so I just do it that way now

13 hours ago, DSMITH said:

It is rite in the instructions when you download a new version, to do a Factory default reset after a install of a new version

That part I know and I do it. It's the reset before the update that I'm referring to 😉 And it could make sense depending on how the update of the software is done by Nokta. They can either remove the entire installation and replace it with a new version or just replace the parts that are new/updated. In case of the latter, it makes very much sense to first remove all personal settings.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HerrUU said:

That part I know and I do it. It's the reset before the update that I'm referring to 😉 And it could make sense depending on how the update of the software is done by Nokta. They can either remove the entire installation and replace it with a new version or just replace the parts that are new/updated. In case of the latter, it makes very much sense to first remove all personal settings.

As I told Chase Nokta or Dilek has never stated to do a factory reset prior to installing a new update, I started doing the factory reset because I was having a different issue at one time and someone suggested to do a factory reset before I did a re install of what ever firmware update I was on at the time I believe it was and issue I was having in 1.06, so I just started doing it before I install any new update and also when I do a re install, it seems to work better when I do it this way, the way I look at it either way you loose any saved custom user setting because you have to do a factor reset any ways and it only takes a few seconds to do the factory reset so I do one before I install a update and also after I do a update and I also do the same thing when I do a re install of any of the updates.

I think it's a great tip and as you say, it only takes a few seconds 🙂

16 hours ago, HerrUU said:

I currently set it on 5 just because it's in the middle but don't ask me what it does. It's not a bug, it's just me not really understanding what I'm doing.

Just did some testing in my garden with a few iron finds and a few coins and I think I managed to learn myself how this Iron Filter works 🙂As said, it was user error and not due to the device. The filter absolutely works but struggles once you start throwing large iron in the mix. But even then it's able to at least give an indication that there's something not irony in the signal (at IF setting 0) but I would not dig it up to be honest. With smaller iron targets next to a coin (3/4 inch and 1 inch, I tested both sizes) it does give a great separation of the different targets, again at IF level 0 until 3, once you go at 4 the signal starts getting iffy again. Keep in mind, this is a test in my garden under the conditions that exist here.

I also noticed that M2 somehow responds a little better to the iron filter as M1. I did not really test M3 as I don't use it that often.

• Like 1

Just installed the beta 3 version on my Legend. I have an hour or so this afternoon to test it out in a local park before I'm expected to report back for dinner.  Don't expect anything major, but it's a good excuse to get out and get some sun and fresh air.

• Like 2