Misadventures In Baja 2023

Condor

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

...Perhaps I’m really just too much of a weenie for a Condor style adventure anyway.

Well, 'weenie' needs some definition here.  I get the impression you're much more comfortable around the four-legged beasts (moose, grizzly bears, wolverines,etc.) than some of the two-legged variety....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/26/2023 at 7:33 PM, WesD said:

Years ago I ran into a miner up in the Sierras that got to talking.  The guy was a very savy miner and spent some winters down in Baja. He and his partner or it was his buddys, dug 1 mill in one season. I asked how they got the pile back home, as thats quite the handful. He said, carefully hidden in the frame of their truck.

Wes, 

Please explain to us non-Baja risk takers/explorers what the "dug 1 mill in one season" means...1 million grams, ounces, $ of gold nuggets??? We want details and you guys should write a book.😁

Bill

Bill thats definitely not my book, I met someone that went to Mexican jail on trumped-up charges, and only by Gods grace did he get out eventually. I believe the guy I heard the story from was referring to $ value.  There is always something guarding the gold. Here in Cal Motherload country we deal with meth heads, deep canyons, rattlesnake, mexican cartel grows, though that is not so much anymore thankfully, and the list goes on...

• Like 3

Never got a chance but have heard the beach swinging is quite good with little pressure down there.  I know of a guy who vacations to Cancun beach resorts every year and  really cleans up on the gold jewelry. He takes down older less expensive detectors "just in case"  but has told me he really hasn't had any issues with authorities.  Says he feels safe at the resort beaches that he stays at and gives any Mexican coins away to hotel staff as tips.   

Perhaps someone else on this board has experience doing this and could comment more........

• Like 2

Well Steve as they say sometimes your the bug other times your the windshield, the trip still sounds like fun to me even though the gold stayed hidden .

On 2/28/2023 at 10:17 AM, Hard Prospector said:

Never got a chance but have heard the beach swinging is quite good with little pressure down there.  I know of a guy who vacations to Cancun beach resorts every year and  really cleans up on the gold jewelry. He takes down older less expensive detectors "just in case"  but has told me he really hasn't had any issues with authorities.  Says he feels safe at the resort beaches that he stays at and gives any Mexican coins away to hotel staff as tips.   

Perhaps someone else on this board has experience doing this and could comment more........

My wife/I go each year for the last 15 and sometimes I go 2 or 3X a year.  Cancun is still a safe place and no worse than Chicago or New York.  Day is perfect and night, is not advised.

I find more gold than most, but that's because I hunt harder and have learned much about the beaches/resorts.  It's no different than detecting FL or CA beaches as you learn over time, the sand and which resorts seem to produce more trash and those who are cleaner with less trash.

Never had a problem bringing back the rings as I make sure my wife is wearing the best. 

Sometimes they charge you a fee at Cancun Airport (going through customs) with a detector so make sure to have an extra $100 or more.  I look at it as it's just part of the trip cost.

My issue is not the people, not the safety, I'm good with that.  It's the new generation of folks wearing Tungsten, Stainless and less traditional gold or platinum jewelry.  Seems each year gets less Au and more modern.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1