The Best Metal Detector Out There

On 2/27/2023 at 10:35 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Which machine is the best?  Pretty simple, really.

It’s the one that you do not hesitate to use most frequently because you know it well and tend to get the results you desire.  That’s it.

People should just stop splitting hairs on equipment and focus instead on learning the equipment they have and doing the research and legwork required to gain legal access to productive sites.  You can do a lot worse than working on social and communication skills vs. viewing endless air tests or listening to anecdotes that have little to no real world applicability to your specific detecting objectives and primarily serve the content provider.  I’ve seen this content just serve to provide more confusion and acrimony than legitimate insights, even when conducted in a controlled, scientific manner.  Just too many variables out there.  It may hold entertainment value for some but I’d rather just see the data and “conclusions” in written form as they generally bore me to tears.  

OTOH - I love to supplement my learning of a new machine with instructional videos.  Nothing like seeing and hearing the machine do it’s thing and gaining tips and tricks from those who’ve taken the time to put in the hours of real swing time needed to truly learn a machine inside and out before they even post their first video.

JMO

Lots of "technicians" not enough basic skills.  I see so many of these YouTube vidddies of guys digging obvious junk.  The things I was taught work on all detectors all the time.  "Ask not what your detector can do  for you..." 😆

cjc

• Like 3

Thanks for the the overall summary of what you teach in your books.  That would be an excellent introduction to include in any future books you publish or revise/reprint.  I have enjoyed & profited from both my Anfibio & Legend books. But I did have to read them several times each for all the pieces you just posted about to come together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCR said:

Thanks for the the overall summary of what you teach in your books.  That would be an excellent introduction to include in any future books you publish or revise/reprint.  I have enjoyed & profited from both my Anfibio & Legend books. But I did have to read them several times each for all the pieces you just posted about to come together.

Thanks  JCR.  Those are two good ones.  I especially like the Anfibio as a vehicle with which to learn the above skills.  Its raw audio and "work horse" power are just great to  get the hang of  signal  balancing and any hearing what's what.  You would  recognize the bottom illusttration from the Legend book  This  is why it concerns me when I get people asking "what version is your book about" when it's those  basics  and understanding how they relate to the overall  platform  ofa machine that actually matter.  Mostt of  these upgrades are just preferences by standard. 

Glad they have helped you.

cjc

• Like 1

These are things that I've  learned over time and put them into  the book I was writing at the time.  My buddy Joe B bought every book I had at one point--not a bad idea  for exactly that reason.  He and I have that in common--looking to learn as mich as  possible just in case you need it.  Not surprising that he is at the top.  My first NOX book has a lot of solid basics as  does the one on the Anfibio.  It's almost like the specific detector info is secondary compared to the importance  of this kind of skill set.  Signal  balancing is critical more so with these  hair trigger, high powered  machines  that are coming out.  Most wouldn't even  be able  to give  a definition besides turning the Sensitivity down...thats why I dug out the bottom illustration. Even that is way  incomplete.   Just got  a big ring from an iron infested section that other "gonzo" types hunt with the same machine daily--the difference was that running two tone with a moderate, balanced signal I could hear and tune better. 

cjc

IMG_4990.jpg

• Like 4

My friend the Manticore Detexpert is on a crusade of his own at the moment. It's called "Facebook Users - Turn your Sensitivity Down"

I started out with an Excal and all I could do was listen to it. Not a single screen in sight. And read Clive's book on the Excal. It took some time for the whole thing to click.

Anyway, to this day if the machine hasn't got a decent All-Metal or pinpoint channel. It simply isn't fit for purpose.

Every metal detector should have a Trigger. And a good book written by CJC 😉

• Like 2

Best Detector Out There? 

Forgive the comparison, but I find a lot of similarities in what is the "Best Detector" to acquiring equipment in GOLF.

In golf, there are an extremely varied group of individuals in regards to skill level from Professional Golfers to those that may golf a couple times a year with friends or family members. Also, the courses played by Professional Golfers are typically much more difficult to play well then our local municipal golf course.

A wise golfer would be fitted for equipment they are capable of using well that will compliment their abilities AND is an appropriate choice for the golf course(s) they are playing.

I read posts about detectors that are most capable and think to myself,  Yes, this detector is incredibly capable - but only in the hands of an advanced detectorist that understands the settings and how the adjustment of each impacts the abilities and results seen with the detector.

A beginner detectorist running out and buying "the best" detector, because the internet says so, is likely buying more detector then they can handle or know what to do with. All of those 'confusing' settings are likely to never be used, or if they are used, the results will be a crap shoot because they are being used ignorantly

Along that same thought, a more advanced detectorists can take a detector that is way too much for a beginner and make it sing, so to speak, in the places they hunt because they have the knowledge, skills, and are in a location to do so.

So, in my mind, the best detector is one fitted to your knowledge and abilities, the locations you hunt, your temperament, your budget and your willingness and ability to learn.  Oh, and don't let me forget physical limitations, like weight. 

UtahRich

• Like 7

sorry about the hijack--an irresistable question...😆

...may have even heard  my music coming in..."...four score and seven years ago..."

cjc

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cjc said:

sorry about the hijack--an irresistable question...😆

...may have even heard  my music coming in..."...four score and seven years ago..."

cjc

It is deserving of its own thread!