Minelab Manticore Vs Equinox 800/900 For Gold Nuggets

17 hours ago, MSC said:

Too many rings to put in your teeth Gerry. Nice finds. 

Only 11 of those rings were gold and then 2 other pieces of gold, the 14K white gold diamond heart my wife added to her collection and the yellow gold necklace pendant with the small diamonds and a blue sapphire. 

I was happy with my water finds.

Now I want to know how this machine is so great for Gold Prospecting or not.  If it's really not designed for Nugget Hunting, no big deal as I have proven detector.  But many of my potential clients want to know before they purchase.  Right now, I don't know what to tell them.

20221206_182307.jpg

Mant8.jpg

• Like 3

With everything that I have read and heard so far I see no reason to replace my 800 for the next few years.

I can honestly say that it has served my grandfather and myself quite well and since I added the 10x5 coil I just can't see something that can beat it right now.

This does not mean that there is something better out there, but for an all around use detector I don't think it can be beat.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I hope Coiltek comes out with a 5" or 6" round for the Manticore, that'll be fantastic.

I also hope we don’t have to wait 3 more years for Coiltek coils for the Manticore like we had to wait for the Nox.  I don’t know if ML realizes it or not (which makes me question their overall consumer business model savvy if they don’t), but simply striking a licensing deal for the embedded coil interface electronics with Coiltek for accessory coils in manner that enables Coiltek to release accessory coils for M-core in a time frame similar to or even faster than ML’s spool up of their own M-core accessory coils could actually tilt fence sitters into purchasing an M-core without ML having to invest any additional capital.  Their track record of aloof behavior with respect to accessory coil options and availability from a customer demand perspective makes them appear to be blind to this fact.  And I’m not just talking small circular coils, but an elliptical slightly bigger than what is presently envisioned would be welcomed by non-prospecting users to fill the remaining gap between the stock and the planned ML 8x5.5.  A solid coil body or skid plate variant option would also be welcomed.

• Like 6

Thanks for chiming in Simon.  Yes, the bigger concern to me is the coil size and why not keep what we already have been making, the 6"?  After all, it proven.  On that note, I already reach out to Trevor and what's interesting??? You/I are on the same page able a really small elliptical coil.  I asked him for a 6" to 7" Ellip approx 3.5" across.  Also asked for an 18" x 3" similar to the old Big Foot.  They could call it the "Beast Foot".  That coil is tops when urban detecting schools/parks and planted hunts.  18" of ground coverage per sweep and dead accurate pinpointing at the end of the coil every time. I know of a few beach hunters in dry sand who used them all the time.

Sure the manual may say something to the effect of only needing 1 gold mode. Why take away what you already have and then charge $500 more?

Below info from Minelab Equinox 900 Manual on page 14.  Makes sense to me to have 2 after reading what each does.

image.png.f9b35b4f4f0befb24acbf22f7876d10d.png

Both the EQ-900/Manti operate kHz pretty close to the same in Gold Mode at 20, 40, Multi IQ for 900 and 20, 40, IQ+ for Manti.  I just wonder why no 2nd Mode?

Yes the missing 4kHz Setting is not a big deal to me, but it was big enough they decided to add it to the 900 but not on Manticore?  Sure they say the Multi IQ+ covers it even lower than 4 kHz.  Well I would hope so.  The very popular 10+ yr old technology CTX 3030 ran from 1 to 100 kHz and the senior aged 30 yr old Explorer was 1.5 to 100 kHz.  Must have to do with Marketing the 900?

Steve H. - Yes I went back and viewed that very post I started last year.  I was hoping after 2 to 3 months there would be more information and knowledge shared by now for our Gold Hunters.  So far it still seems pretty silent?

I'm starting to feel as you do Steve, the Manticore is more geared towards the masses.  That's perfectly fine with me, I was just hoping to get some official knowledge.  Simon did mention someone of authority said it should be on par.  I guess the verdict is still out.

That's what happens when I'm stuck in long winters.  Keep hoping and dreaming for the next best Gold Detector.

For now, I'll keep telling my customers what I know for Fact. the EQ-800 is proven.  The EQ-900 with the same technology and a little extra, will be proven.  The Manti for gold prospectors... we're still a little in the fog.  Here's the good side.  Hopefully by the time all backlogs are caught up, we'll start seeing results from those who are doing it.

Again,  I'm not down on the Manti at all for the masses and I have proven it's deeper for Coins and did me better on my Cancun trip for gold jewelry.  If that is all I'll see for extra performance in just those 2 categories.  I'm 100% on board and will happily sell it to customers and mention just that.

• Thanks 1