Minelab Manticore Vs Equinox 800/900 For Gold Nuggets

2 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I've been in discussion with Trevor at CoilTek and they will be working on a smaller coil for the Manticore.  It's going to be Ellip in shape as well.  Hopefully they can get it out later this year.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

This would be wonderful...

strick

• Like 4

A small elliptical... with the Manticore coming with an option of an 8.5x5" would it be sensible to stick with their 10x5" size like the Nox coils? I hope not as I'd just stick with the stock smaller coil in that case.    Would the more Snake like 6.5 x 3.5" make more sense? I think so, it's different enough to the stock coil offerings and would bring a multi-IQ detector to an entire new level of sensitivity to small targets.  The Manticore would likely become the gold detector of choice in the VLF world with it's coil options.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This thread speaks to some of the reasons I have not yet moved from the Equinox 800 to the Manticore.  I recognize it’s partly emotional because I don't typically use the 800 for prospecting.  One reason is because it's more knock sensitive than the Gold Monster.  Even with more settings on the Equinox, the GM gets more prospecting VLF use because it handles scrubbing around much better.  Aside from that, there are other things that pose hurdles to a new machine.  It's hard to let go of all the time spent in familiarizing oneself with the older machine.  Then there are investments: accessories, coils, and stems for each coil.  Because these particular machines have positioned themselves as do-it-all detectors, unless there is an improvement for prospecting, as well as relic-ing, or feedback showing the new machine is at least on par in the goldfield (including quality coil options), it's an uncomfortable purchase.  It will be interesting to see what coils Minelab can fruitfully provide and see what users' experience reveals.  It's sure felt like a slow roll out. 

• Like 1