17 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

That's not a bad array of finds their Captain.Looks like you have the bug and are on your way to becoming a relic hunting fanatic for certain.Keep digging those big iron targets and you will eventually be rewarded with something outstanding.On the rare occasion iron even leads to surprises and much better things including non metallic items.                                                                                                                                           

Thank Doc! I will dig that big iron! One of my first detecting finds when I tried detecting 40 years ago happened when we were out gold panning and I decided to try out my brand new Fisher Gold Bug while poking around in a dilapidated old cabin frame near the creek. I got a huge hit in the corner of the timbers and just new I hit a chest full of gold nuggets. It turned out to be the door to an old iron potbelly stove, but as I pulled up the door, underneath was an intact small Kuhn's Remedy Co. bottle (circa 1880s) with the cork stopper still in it. It's sits on my desk as a reminder to check always everything! 😉

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thank Doc! I will dig that big iron! One of my first detecting finds when I tried detecting 40 years ago happened when we were out gold panning and I decided to try out my brand new Fisher Gold Bug while poking around in a dilapidated old cabin frame near the creek. I got a huge hit in the corner of the timbers and just new I hit a chest full of gold nuggets. It turned out to be the door to an old iron potbelly stove, but as I pulled up the door, underneath was an intact small Kuhn's Remedy Co. bottle (circa 1880s) with the cork stopper still in it. It's sits on my desk as a reminder to check always everything! 😉

I'm not sure why Captain but for some reason I thought that you were kind of new to the hobby? Clearly I am not paying close enough attention or maybe I'm slipping a little. At any rate a 40 year man does not need a to whole lot of advice.Anyway there ya go and nice Bott! I have my own wood cookstove door story as do many seasoned detectorist maybe someday I will share it? 

• Like 1

Nice hunt. That is a lot of targets from a site that you would think would be hunted to death. Congrats on pulling all that non ferrous from those nails. The 32D is a sweet find. Like GB said, the depression coinage is scarce. I've never seed a 32D dug before.

• Like 1

Looks like a nice turn of the century? relic site!  Little bit of everything, work-check, period coin, fancy, and the obligatory punishing spent munitions casings.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

I'm not sure why Captain but for some reason I thought that you were kind of new to the hobby? Clearly I am not paying close enough attention or maybe I'm slipping a little. At any rate a 40 year man does not need a to whole lot of advice.Anyway there ya go and nice Bott! I have my own wood cookstove door story as do many seasoned detectorist maybe someday I will share it? 

Thanks Doc, but in essence I am pretty much a beginner again. When I first tried detecting, I didn't take the time to learn the machine or the craft and pretty much gave it up while raising the kids and pusuing other interests. Flash forward to my semi-retirement a couple of years ago and I decided to get back into detecting for real this time, so yes, I'm really just still learning and need all the advice I can get. 😏

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thanks Doc, but in essence I am pretty much a beginner again. When I first tried detecting, I didn't take the time to learn the machine or the craft and pretty much gave it up while raising the kids and pusuing other interests. Flash forward to my semi-retirement a couple of years ago and I decided to get back into detecting for real this time, so yes, I'm really just still learning and need all the advice I can get. 😏

You seem to be right on course there Captain.I noticed that you are picking up shards of glass etc and spotting the mother of pearl buttons and that is good.And that you are picking out the smaller N.F. targets out of the iron also good.If you ever come across any layers or pits of stove ash or fire pits and if you have the time take the time to investigate.They can be loaded with buttons and other small items.I always carry an XP # 5mm = 1/4 inch mesh gold classifier in my pack to do some exploratory screening. And if productive I bring in my large 1/4 mesh sifter and start moving dirt..I like that you are Humble and good hunting!                                                                                                                                                         5F4B4D87-A2B5-4931-B91B-542EFD9CB54B.thumb.jpeg.454d32ddb5e40dbbc4adf61191dcad26.jpeg 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The glass you have is beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1