Some Interesting News From Quest Detectors

DSMITH

Quest has acquired a company called Air Metal Detectors, Quest is going to be coming out with another detector that is completely wireless which will utilize your Cell phone as the control pod, scuttle butt from Facebook, Quest also is showing this wireless detector at some metal detecting event in Europe, it will be called Quest Air and by the looks of it will be quite lite

hey who doesn't carry a so called smart phone on them any more LOL

just thought I would share on DP and yes I have to much time on my hands rite now as we have snow setting on the ground in Oracle AZ so I am just sitting here reading LOL

• Like 1

The "Air Metal Detectors" crowd sourced detector effort been discussed multiple times on the forum see the following:

Bottom line, there are more downsides than upsides to this approach and the AMD effort has also suffered a number of setbacks technically (basically, many features just don't work, performance is poor to lackluster, the interface app is buggy, and updates are nonexistent), production wise, and distribution wise.  Plus it doesn't help that the originating country (Ukraine) is in the midst of war.

Perhaps Quest can turn it around, but even though it sounds interesting on paper, the concept is technically flawed because you are relying on standard bluetooth protocols to transfer data in order to ensure generic compatibility with both Android and Apple smartphones.  That protocol is introduces too much latency and sources for real-time errors in the whole process, sets you up for multiple compatibility nightmares because you have zero control over people's phone configurations (this is much more complex than just making sure BT audio headphones are compatible).  The phone is already doing too much "part time" tasking already, making it do yet another real time task just reduces overall reliability of the detector system.  That's my take and it has pretty much played out the way I projected it would.

• Like 5

Air Metal Detectors has a checkered past.  See these threads from ~2 and ~1 year ago:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/16293-air-metal-detectors-now-shipping-to-backers/#comments

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/18408-air-detectors-now-being-sold/#comments

Optimists will say being taken over by Quest means something good will come of this.  Pessimists will say...?  Only time will tell which (if either) is correct.

When Garrett bought the carcass of White's there were a lot of hopeful comments and some realistic ones, too.  The result to date is the re-release of the (successful, before and after) 24k IB/VLF gold detector.  Period.

• Like 3

33BC4828-6D1A-4CAF-BCBE-9D366F8C6C18.thumb.png.20b01701318b96901a4b5e416984fc7b.pngI was wondering what that detector on the right was all about. Now I know 

B07BB24E-826D-46DB-BF8C-3A4DBC25DD10.thumb.jpeg.bafd0086962f2fc98155b5aed530a580.jpeg

With Quest taking this project over maybe it will actually move. Predicted release is April-June this year at around 300 euros. https://treasurehuntingworld.com/2023/03/03/quest-air-quest-partners-with-ukraines-air-md/?fbclid=IwAR0qdLiNSW0_B7zo-EkPlwi8gq5ZA6GGlBEYSmlOzLVBSu51nalJckXgxTo

I think time will be the solution to this, phone hardware is improving in leaps and bounds, Bluetooth has had dramatic improvements in data transfer rates lately and the new Bluetooth quickly becoming standard, phones often have a limited life and people are upgrading often from broken screens, dropping them in the toilet :), the battery dying or just because they want the new fancy models.  They could set the minimum requirements via the app to make sure it only runs on suitable hardware and advertise it as such.  They could run the app with high priority set by the operating system to ensure the apps not lagging because of other apps on the device.

Time will tell, technology is improving all the time, what may seem like a crazy idea now may become the norm in the future.

Never say never, as it's quite possible this will be the future of detectors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I think time will be the solution to this, phone hardware is improving in leaps and bounds, Bluetooth has had dramatic improvements in data transfer rates lately and the new Bluetooth quickly becoming standard, phones often have a limited life and people are upgrading often from broken screens, dropping them in the toilet :), the battery dying or just because they want the new fancy models.  They could set the minimum requirements via the app to make sure it only runs on suitable hardware and advertise it as such.  They could run the app with high priority set by the operating system to ensure the apps not lagging because of other apps on the device.

Time will tell, technology is improving all the time, what may seem like a crazy idea now may become the norm in the future.

Never say never, as it's quite possible this will be the future of detectors.

Wireless coils?   You're a fan now? :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Wireless coils?   You're a fan now? :rolleyes:

Not even remotely, I don't want it to be my future but that doesn't mean it won't be 🙂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

With Quest taking this project over maybe it will actually move. Predicted release is April-June this year at around 300 euros.

Assuming everything is compatible and works together glitch free, still trying to figure out why I would want to pay more for a detector with less capability than the X-terra Pro (<300  Euros) and I have to still provide the physical interface myself (i.e., tie up my overutilized phone) in the process.