At What Cost Did My Family Pay For My Addiction?

GOD gives us the Present to deal with the Past. He is in charge of the Future, where everything comes together. Thankful for this Today..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

George,

Like you, I've been at this a while (since 1972 to be exact).  I also have a departed wife by divorce.  And adult kids.  I like to think of metal detecting to have been "my time" which I think we all need.  While others may like clubs and group hunts and all of that stuff, I've always enjoyed the solitary  existence of me and my metal detector out looking for things.  Here in 2023 that hasn't changed.  It clears my head and relaxes me and in the world today there isn't much I can find to do that does that for me.

To answer the question of your subject line "At What Cost Did My Family Pay For My Addiction?" I would say that there was no cost whatsoever.  Rather there was the benefit from your detecting that allowed you to be more of who you are in those special moments with your family.

Bill

Nicely said Bill.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

There are worse additions, and at least our hobby doesn't make our teeth rot away and our skin go funky, it's possibly quite the opposite, good for our health.

Amen.

• Like 3

I guess moderation is the key to any hobby.  Everyone needs time to themselves…some more than others.  I’m 60 and have three kids aged 13, 13 and 15.  It’s a balancing act getting my alone time in along with time with my kids.  (My wife and I are separated so we alternate weeks with the kids.  We actually get along better now.)  Every other weekend I’m free to do whatever I wish.  

• Like 8

My family suffered because of my addiction, and moving them from New Jersey to Texas back in 1988 was something that bothered me immensely back then and still does. A monumental change, a whole different world. 

It's too late to go back now and change things but I will never again neglect those I love the most for a hobby, no matter what it is. 

• Like 3