At What Cost Did My Family Pay For My Addiction?

Very well said and thought provoking sir.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

On 3/4/2023 at 11:12 PM, phrunt said:

There are worse addictions, and at least our hobby doesn't make our teeth rot away and our skin go funky, it's possibly quite the opposite, good for our health.

Lucky to have tipped into detecting, others tipping the other way as seamless and easy as detecting! Your not wrong! I'm just the antihero,especially for those who for whatever reasons fell into the abyss! It's tough and most stay there, possibly hating the choice,becoming more and more hopeless,void of dreams or reason to fight. Olive branch whether opportunity,encouragement,confrontation of this behavior and much more could be all it takes to save them! Probably not but I've seen it go from hopeless to redneck empire in 11 yrs. If you weren't judging sorry if you were well.

• Like 1

Don't second guess yourself George. I was the model husband and father and after 31 years s*it happens. Be happy every day because it's not your responsibility to make everyone around you happy. I would have preferred to stay together with my love, but I couldn't take another garage sale, or chihuahua growling at me when I wanted a hug. Keep digging if that makes you happy.

• Like 2

I believe I'm alive today because of metal detecting. I have been single for a long time now. "My Time Machine" takes me to another world.  I reach into the hole and go back in time 100, 200, 300 years.  At my age I could have been setting in front of the TV, 300 pounds, depressed and ready to pass on.  I'd never consider going to a Gym, I'd never just go for a 3-5 mile walk for my health.  When I detect I go till I'm about finished, Then walk a mile or so back home, A real workout. 

What did I find? Well I jumped deer, seen the birds and the trees, got my lungs full of fresh air. Then the bonus of traveling back in time and pulling history out of the ground... Thanks to the Detector Gods. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sorry George, 

Somehow I missed a great post!

But if I had to classify all the previous responses into pluses and minuses, I'd say that the pluses win hands down! And I think that this would be true, even if a million posted responses!

I've was lucky enough to get back into the hobby with no opposition from my wife, ( rare, and always helps😉) a little before retirement! Looking back, it probably saved our marriage, as I had something positive to transition into after leaving a rather chaotic, and angry workplace environment, after the municipality i worked for nearly destroyed our pay and benefits, and chased off most of the younger employees; which we told them would happen!! We older guys were stuck!!

Not only has detecting calmed, and strengthened my mind! (and body 🤏)  But has also helped fill the gap of friends i lost to better conditions; and then some!!👍

None of us walked in yours, or others shoes here, who may have come out lacking in some way in the hobby! But I can't imagine it was a total wash for any of you!

In fact, if anything, I regret not getting "back to it" much earlier than I did! 30+ years was way too long!! 🙏🍀👍👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KD8GIS said:

I believe I'm alive today because of metal detecting. I have been single for a long time now. "My Time Machine" takes me to another world.  I reach into the hole and go back in time 100, 200, 300 years.  At my age I could have been setting in front of the TV, 300 pounds, depressed and ready to pass on.  I'd never consider going to a Gym, I'd never just go for a 3-5 mile walk for my health.  When I detect I go till I'm about finished, Then walk a mile or so back home, A real workout. 

What did I find? Well I jumped deer, seen the birds and the trees, got my lungs full of fresh air. Then the bonus of traveling back in time and pulling history out of the ground... Thanks to the Detector Gods. 

That's right, you do it all correct and betrayal,mistake or any number of unfortunate events can and will be thrown at ya over a lifetime! I'd like to think it adds character! Could be a tough build at times,sometimes seemingly to hard to get through! One fact will shine through, barring tragedy you will get through with new layers and hopefully 1 point to pay toward wisdom!