A Short Park Hunt Reveals A Couple Of Surprises

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Is the stone open on the back, if so it should be real and not a fake.

Please elaborate on this -- that open back implies a real gemstone.  (Presumably the opposite is NOT true -- closed back implies a fake gemstone?)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thanks, GB, yes I also confirmed that the address of that block remained the same over time so that is the likely location where the hotel stood. I have a friend in my detecting club who has a vintage bookstore and he has old business registries going back to the early days of the town and he's going to try to find more details on the Santa Fe Hotel for me.

It's funny that you asked about the VDI because I've been recording those recently to compare with trash targets and am getting some interesting results. Here are the Deus 2 VDIs I got on the ring and similar trash targets on that day:

PF-5b.JPEG

I don't know if the ding on the back affected the VDI or not. The ring is not separated, but it is light, 1.47 grams.

Thanks for posting that CPT I've dug lots of silver jewelry that has read in the mid conductor range and even some in the low conductor range. Like hunting for gold jewelry it depends on the size and shape of the target. When hunting for jewelry I notch nothing. 

strick 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Please elaborate on this -- that open back implies a real gemstone.  (Presumably the opposite is NOT true -- closed back implies a fake gemstone?)

Yes, GB, jewelers generally set real gem stones in an open back setting to allow light to pass through the stone. This allows more natural refraction and make the stone appear more brilliant, specially clear faceted stones like diamond, rubies, emeralds, etc, but also, to a lesser extent, less opaque stones.

Artificial stones, specially faceted stones, do not refract light as well as natural stones so a reflective backing is required to simulate the sparkle of real stones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strick said:

Thanks for posting that CPT I've dug lots of silver jewelry that has read in the mid conductor range and even some in the low conductor range. Like hunting for gold jewelry it depends on the size and shape of the target. When hunting for jewelry I notch nothing. 

strick 

That's what I learned the hard way. 😏 But Steve H's article opened my eyes and it's really making a difference for me. For anyone that has not read this, I think it should be included in all detector manuals.

• Like 2

That bag tag is really neat.  Found one like it from the Central Pacific RR from the early 1870s.

They were two piece.  The piece you show slips into another brass piece with flanges on the sides and bottom.  They share matching numbers.  One stayed on the bag, the other with the owner.  When the porter returned your bag, the two needed to match.

Would be interesting to know whether they were issued by this hotel for exactly the same purpose within the hotel, or if it was early advertising where this went with the bags on the train and instead of a Sante Fe RR tag, you just used the Hotel tag you had.  My guess is the latter.  Most you see have a RR name on them.

HH,
Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zincoln said:

That bag tag is really neat.  Found one like it from the Central Pacific RR from the early 1870s.

They were two piece.  The piece you show slips into another brass piece with flanges on the sides and bottom.  They share matching numbers.  One stayed on the bag, the other with the owner.  When the porter returned your bag, the two needed to match.

Would be interesting to know whether they were issued by this hotel for exactly the same purpose within the hotel, or if it was early advertising where this went with the bags on the train and instead of a Sante Fe RR tag, you just used the Hotel tag you had.  My guess is the latter.  Most you see have a RR name on them.

HH,
Brian

Thanks for the info, Zincoln. I have been wondering if the Hotel was owned by the Railroad, specially because the AT&SF tracks were laid in 1858 and the SF Hotel was likely built soon after, so it would have been standing during the building of the AT&SF Depot across the street.

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thanks for the info, Zincoln. I have been wondering if the Hotel was owned by the Railroad, specially because the AT&SF tracks were laid in 1858 and the SF Hotel was likely built soon after, so it would have been standing during the building of the AT&SF Depot across the street.

Here is an example off the web with both pieces in tact.intercolonial-railway-baggage-tag-set.thumb.jpg.5ddde94b7f73d7ff722420a6b188a529.jpg

Would be willing to bet your hotel WAS attached to the RR.

Brian

• Like 3

16 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Most gemstones such as diamonds will refract a better color without a backing. That is why most diamonds have no backing. Other gemstones that I have seen also use little to no backing on high quality pieces.

I could be wrong, but that is what I have been told by jewelers in the past.

• Like 2