S Mint Bonanza (i Know You Like These Gb)

Fantastic finds and great saves, good for you!

There is a town just 5 miles away from me that is also Hillsboro, I wonder how it showed up near you.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Like" should be replaced with "be green with envy".  😁  Finding a 1909-S Lincoln would have my heart go into arythmia.  The condition of the 1908-S dime is way up there, so although it's around median mintage for San Francisco Barber dimes it does have modest (double digit) numismatic value, IMO.  Even the 1907-S is in well above average condition.

Your soil appears to be similar to mine, maybe a bit worse, as the Buffie shows.  All this makes me want to get out there today....

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

"Like" should be replaced with "be green with envy".  😁  Finding a 1909-S Lincoln would have my heart go into arythmia.  The condition of the 1908-S dime is way up there, so although it's around median mintage for San Francisco Barber dimes it does have modest (double digit) numismatic value, IMO.  Even the 1907-S is in well above average condition.

Your soil appears to be similar to mine, maybe a bit worse, as the Buffie shows.  All this makes me want to get out there today....

I'm glad it makes you want to get out.  That's why I participate in the forums....to get inspired, and hopefully to inspire!  

Soil here is pretty hard on nickels.  IHP and old wheat pennies usually green up nicely, unless they are near fertilizer or some of the harsher mineralization.  Silver almost always comes out blinding white.  Agree on the 1908s Barber....probably a VF+ detail coin.  If only the 1909s penny was nearly as pretty.  

For example, and 08s IHP I found about 3 years ago.  Notice the nice bronze still showing on the lower right reverse. Was very careful with this one during cleanup.  

HH GB,
Brian

08sIHCObverse.thumb.jpg.b520e48f51c643470a54ec65ae7a9243.jpg

08sIHCReverse.thumb.jpg.a04ee66eaa770d2fa24c4388c233b3d3.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Zincoln said:

For example, and 08s IHP I found about 3 years ago.  Notice the nice bronze still showing on the lower right reverse.

Hasn't the 1909-S Lincoln alone antagonized me enough for one day??  😉  Very pretty key/semi-key IHC.  I wish even one of my IHC's (all common date finds so far 😞) looked that nice.  But, yes, the IHC's and some early Lincolns, probably because of their tin content, tend to hold up better in the ground than the later Wheaties and 95% copper Memorials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Zincoln said:

I'm glad it makes you want to get out.  That's why I participate in the forums....to get inspired, and hopefully to inspire!  

Zincoln,

I think you hit it right on the nose! These kinds of finds and stories are by far my favorite! You, F350, and several others definitely help me "get out there"!! Even though my area doesn't hold all the same kinds of items, I still love to see what you guys get to dig up!!

I also joined a local club this year, for the same reasons! The bonus, besides the interesting characters, is i get to see and touch the type of items I can actually find here!🍀👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1