Minelab X-terra Pro Vs Nokta Simplex

A lot remains to be seen of the new X-Terra Pro vs. the established Simplex, but on paper and in theory $269 for a waterproof switchable frequency unit may leave Simplex in the rear view mirror. If it punches above its weight it may even compete nicely with the likes of the Anfibio. These companies seem keen to battle it out, continuing to raise the bottom of metal detectors up to what once would’ve been not that long ago considered mid to upper level performance and options. I’m sure Nokta is now wondering what consumers are thinking about where the Simplex line fits in. What say you? One thing I can say is there’s still an advantage to having a detector and coil tuned to one specific frequency, but can that overcome all the versatility of the new X-Terra? 

• Like 5

It's a ridiculously low price for a selectable SF detector. Then again, Minelab had to do something because Nokta and XP were gouging into their empire. Plus, now there is Quest to throw into the mix.

With that said, after using a SMF detector that also has selectable frequencies from low to high, I would prefer not to use a fixed single frequency detector ever again. The only negative for me about the X-Terra, is that its highest frequency is only 15 khz. Reason being, in my high EMI area, it's not until 20 khz that I can fully eliminate EMI and run at maximum gain. In addition to that, I find that 20 khz and higher is notably better than 15 khz on small gold, nickels, and small targets like coins on edge. 

• Like 7

According to Dilek this Simplex line is a whole new animal.

“We have changed all the hardware, software, system box, coil , frequency and went to Bluetooth.”

I just wish the effort went into making the simplex a simplified multifrequency unit. A waterproof FBS or CZ style machine would give us more to scratch our heads over. a Simplex Multi would compete nicely with the selectable frequency X-Terra.

It is hard to be sure, but on the face of it, Nokta looks to be in the weaker position. The new X-Terra Pro looks better on paper than what it appears Nokta has by revamping the SImplex, and then you have the Vanquish line in close to the same price range. 

This has to be the best bang for the buck I have ever seen in new Minelabs. There are several models on the lower end there now that are really excellent. Nokta has proven to be willing to fight it out, they may have something else up their sleeve that will come out of the blue one of these days. Nokta seems to answer Minelabs offerings at every turn with seriously good detectors. They could lower the price on the Anfibio and drive the X-Terra into some real competition without having to quite beat them on price, though that detector is looking a little expensive at the moment despite it’s acknowledged capability. The Legend matches up well with the Nox line, and they could stay out of the Manticore to stay competitive with the rest.  Way too soon to count Nokta out.

It is going to be a very interesting Summer.

Interesting times for sure. Nokta has played a big part in changing the playing field to users benefit.

Now, where is that bad dirt Relic hunting PI I am waiting for?

• Like 5

Until Nokta releases/ or states what the changes are to the Simplex Ultra, there’s no way to compare…… these two detectors. Minelab has the xterra pro on their website.just waiting on Nokta. 

• Like 1

Well, it's all about profit margins, I'm sure we all know the cost price to make a Simplex would be hardly any different to a Legend, and the Equinox 600 wouldn't cost much less to make for Minelab than a Manticore. 

They have plenty of room they can move on prices, Nokta has made Minelab worried, that's clear.  XP kept the pricing high with the Deus 2, if they came in lower on that the Manticore would be much cheaper so to bring the prices down on the top machines Nokta really need to get to making one, they've been the ones driving down the prices, thanks Nokta, love your work 🙂

I am thinking even before release Nokta may adjust their Simplex models pricing, they didn't expect the X-Terra to be coming out when they were doing these Simplex models.  I wouldn't be surprised at all with a last minute price adjustment on them all as they now seem overpriced.

• Like 5

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the X-Terra Pro comes with wireless headphones. Can you use third party bluetooth headphones or only Minelab headphones?

What we know so far about the prices here (I think it's the same for Europe):

Minelab X-Terra Pro (1.30 kg / 2.9 lbs): 329 euro, no headphones, (5, 8 Beach, 10, 15 kHz)

Nokta Simplex Ultra (1.18 kg / 2.6 lbs): 399 euro, full carbon with headphones (15 kHz)

I couldn't find any prices for the ML85 but the ML80 are 179 euro here. If you only can use Minelab headphones with the X-Terra Pro the price will be 329 + 179 = 508 euro vs 399 euro for the Simplex Ultra.

And Nokta could even lower the prices. I'm curious about the official prices.

• Like 1