ATX, TDI, GPX. What is it with detector companies and three letter acronyms? I liked it more when they were called Coinmaster or Goldmaster. At least that gave you a clue about what the detector was supposed to do.

The three detectors representing the state of the art in ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) metal detectors. The Garrett ATX, White's TDI, and Minelab GPX 5000. You rarely see them all pictured together so I thought I would post one.

post-1-0-44604100-1387757296.jpg
Garrett ATX, White's TDI, Minelab GPX 5000

These three detectors are all very good at what they are basically made for, which is dealing with ground mineralization and hot rocks that make using VLF detectors very difficult. In particular VLF performance is severely impeded in extremely mineralized ground. In low mineral ground a good VLF prospecting detector running in all metal mode can deliver results rivaling PI detectors with the added benefit of having good discrimination options. Anybody doing much prospecting, however, will eventually run into locations where ground mineralization and hot rocks makes using a VLF such a challenge that a good ground balancing pulse induction detector is the only real option.

The GPX 5000 represents the current state of the art, and is the easy option if money is no object. It is well designed for long hours of prospecting, has an incredible variety of optional coils, and can handle most any ground conditions with many tuning options.

The Garrett ATX provides performance that comes close to the GPX at a much lower price, with the added benefit of being waterproof to ten feet. Actually, this is only a benefit if you need it. Otherwise it makes the detector heavier than need be and limits the available coil options. Still, if the GPX is not an option the ATX would be my next choice in a new detector with a warranty. For those needed waterproof it is the only real option along with its predecessor, the Garrett Infinium.

The White's TDI is an older design but still very capable. It costs less than the other two options, and unlike the Garrett it has light weight versions and models that can be hip or chest mounted. It is a good option to explore for those on a budget or needing the most ergonomic solution. The TDI is also a very respected beach detector, like the ATX above, but it has no waterproof option.

• 2 weeks later...

Right on Steve.................

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      As revealed in this thread the new Minelab GPX 6000 has been submitted to the FCC website for Bluetooth compliance testing. The pdf file showing the label location offers up the picture below as a teaser.
      From the Confidentiality Letter:
      "We are requesting the commission to grant short-term confidentiality request on the following attachments until 19 October 2020. External Photos, Internal Photos, Test Setup Photos, User Manual"
      So in theory by October 19th we could have photos and a user manual available for download. However, the website has availability notes now appended to those document listings, and they are calling for a December 18, 2020 release of the information. It should be obvious the machine itself will not be available until sometime in 2021.

Minelab GPX 6000 Users Manual available by 12-18-2020

Since the FCC listing confirms there really is a GPX 6000 on the way I have added a Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews page in the detector database where I will add any reliable information the moment it becomes available.

Minelab GPX 6000 metal detector
    • By schoolofhardNox
      Had the day to work a beach with the GPX and the AQ. I used the GPX for 5.5 hours and dug every target in the dry sand. I know there is deep silver at this particular beach, and it did not disappoint me today. The Standing Liberty quarter was measured at 18” and the Walking Liberty half was at 20” This is the maximum I have found silver with the GPX. You do not always get those depth, depending on EMI in the area. I can regularly get 15” on most coins. Another good target was a gold grill, probably 9 or 10K. You do not see those every day on the beach.😄 Partials sometimes, but grills never. It was nice to get out and dig like crazy. Beaches are very trashy, but I need the exercise, so I dig it all.

• By Skullgolddiver
      I finished my channel's intro footage, squeezing some of the last finds in less than two minutes...
      Hope you enjoy the atmosphere 🙃.
      Will be difficult to keep it updated constantly with all the work I'm next to start on dryland for water sessions improvement, but keep an eye on my diary now and then🔥
      https://youtu.be/1kyGlM9-_do
    • By cpx
      hello , my wiring go out of my plug and i need a picture  or resistance test for, pin out connector  ,  one red  with a shield and one clear wire with one shield, the connector have 5 pins but one pin have no seen wire one it, thanks Yves
    • By phrunt
      The other day I fixed a problem with my GPX that I'd been meaning to do for some time and never got around to it as I don't use it much anymore, and since I had it out of the cupboard again and all the talk of the GPX 6000 and it looking like it's wireless without the battery on your butt I figured I should finally get around to knocking up a way to hold the battery onto the side of it so I don't have to strap up like a turkey as some call it wearing a harness with a battery on my butt.   This was the thing I disliked about the GPX the most.  I now often just use my GPZ and 8" X-Coil and doing this I don't need any harness as it's nice and balanced and light enough to swing all day, the audio is wireless to my WM12 and I don't need a bungee.  It makes for very comfortable detecting.  My liking for not being tethered with the detectors all started with my QED which is the ultimate light weight PI, it is no different than swinging a VLF all day.  The QED came with a little Logitech X-50 Speaker that has it's own built in lithium battery that lasts about a day's detecting and it has extremely good loud audio, and also volume control buttons on the speaker.  The QED has a special mount to use the speaker on the QED, the mount doesn't fit the GPX shaft. 
      When I was a big user of my GPX I had the harness on with twin speakers using the Steelphase SP01 and cords all over the place linking it all together with the detector, battery, speakers and so on.  Some people are OK with this, I am not.  I get all tangled up all the time 🙂
      I was making a mount that would work for the GPX as well as the QED after I accidentally broke my QED mount by knocking my QED over off a rock.   I didn't want to bother getting an official mount so I figured I'd make my own.

This is the Logitech X-50 speaker, it has a strap area you can see down the bottom right to hang it off things, the official QED mount goes through that to hold it onto the QED.  You'll also see the volume up and down buttons and a power button in the middle.  It's actually a bluetooth speaker but I don't need to bluetooth side of it.
      a while ago I'd bought a few Bicycle torch mounts for about $3 each from China and it seemed to be the perfect thing to use to mount the speaker.

They can be adjusted to shaft size so they fit the QED and the GPX.  They also can be detached so one part of the mount pops off the more difficult screw on bit so I can easily pop off the speaker for charging without having to unscrew it from the shaft.  A little bit of chopping and hot glue and I have myself a QED/GPX Powered external speaker on a universal detector mount.

It quickly just slides on and off it's shaft mount.

The speakers are really loud too, as loud as my SP01 connected to the twin GME SPK07's was.
      I also have a Quest Wirefree mate that I can use on my GPX if I want the audio to be wireless to some headphones.

Great little gadget for anyone thinking about getting one, batteries last for days, super fast audio designed for detectors and it has a volume control knob on the part that you keep on your body, it also has a belt clip.  Basically turns any headphones into wireless headphones.
      Now the last piece of the puzzle to get my GPX cordess without spending any money on it which I didn't want to do as I don't use it often now was to sort out the battery.  I was always going to go one of the Lipo battery setups a lot of people have done for a small lightweight battery option, I just never got around to it before replacing my GPX as my primary detector so I figured I will just find a way to mount the battery to the control box, all this involved was some left over webbing from when I made carry straps for my sluice along with a few dome button things, I already had these lying around from another project with my boats cover, they're stainless steel too so won't rust 🙂
      I just popped a few domes though a couple of strips of webbing and wala.  I can now use the GPX battery pouch that came with my GPZ's harness to hold the GPX battery onto the side of the box.  It holds on tight too, it ain't moving.

So my mission virtually complete, All that is left is cutting the power curly cord and shrinking it's size to keep it neater but that can wait for another day, until then I'll just keep it tucked up inside the cover.
      So there you have it, I now have a tether free GPX and it cost me $0 using stuff I already had laying around.  I don't mind the battery's extra weight, seems to make the coil feel a bit lighter.
      And I can still pop off my Logitech speaker and mount it on my QED, I used a second one of the torch mounts to have an attachment point on my QED so I don't need to do anything, slide it off my GPX and slide it on my QED. Perfect.  If I was actively using it as my primary detector I'd probably just go a Lipo battery and mount it on the side but this is fine for the irregular use it will get.
    • By Jim in ma
      I need to have my coil replaced on my TDI BH    Whites service center is not sure they have one at the moment.
      My Question is what are the pros and cons of putting a 12 inch Aussie Mono coil on.  Not for diving just waist deep wading,
      also does anyone know if the mono will float like the yellow dual field?
      I am not looking to find small bits of gold, mostly coins and ring size targets on the Northeast  beaches.
      Thanks Jim