Epoxy

Al F

I have 2 coils for my Equinox 800, the normal 11 inch and the 15 x 11 coil…. I have the aftermarket coil supports and would ask if there is a 2 part epoxy glue that could be applied to fasten these coil supports to the coil WITHOUT causing any interference with the coil’s performance ?…. Or maybe use CRAZY GLUE ? … thanks for helping…Al

Thanks for the info….. I’ll get sum …I hope Home Depot has sum… if not, then I’ll go to a Marine place in REDONDO BEACH……the tech at MINELAB didn’t have any suggestions…. Thanks again…

When both my ears broke off, I used JB ClearWeld with a little West System 406 colloidal silica added for extra adhesive quality and a Detecting Adventure coil support. It came out great.

20230307_063836.jpg

• Like 1

After doing a little research, I bought a bottle of LOCTITE EXTREME GLUE … I smeared a small swipe of it onto a peice of cardboard and after several minutes of dry time, scanned it with my GARROT CARROT to see if there would be any form of metal in it…. None detected… then I tried my Nox 800 with again NO DETECTION… I used this EXTREME GLUE to affix the coil supports unto 2 of my coils… I’ve NOT noticed any difference in the detecting ability of either coil…..

4 hours ago, Al F said:

I used this EXTREME GLUE to affix the coil supports unto 2 of my coils… I’ve NOT noticed any difference in the detecting ability of either coil…..

Of course, you will not have any issues. You could have used JB Weld too.

I still like the slower drying time of Marine Epoxy. I have had some of the fast-drying epoxy's fail in a few detecting applications. 

I used Norski 2 part Marine Epoxy, it takes many hours to dry but worked a treat, I couldn't handle looking at white glue on a black coil it would drive me crazy so I mixed a few drops of water based black dye in with the glue, seeing the epoxy I used claims on the tub you can wet your finger after its started to set and move your finger around to shape and smooth it I figured water based dye wouldn't hurt it, and it didn't.  Came out really good and has held up a year or so now with no signs of issues.   They also sell colours you can add into the Norski epoxy to make it certain colours, I didn't need to waste my money on theirs when I only needed a small amount of black.

Did your coil ears break?

I'd only glue something to the coil, if really necessary..
I have the feeling, that sometimes those stiffeners even are the reason why some ears broke.
Still got my first coil (5 years), well beyond 1000h of use, no issues so far 🤞

• Like 2