Last Hunt Before Retirement?

Great finds! Liberty nickels and IH pennies only 3" deep sounds like my kind of hunting. When I hunt the dirt the older stuff is usually much much deeper.

• Like 4

Thats a very nice hunt.  Like how 3 bottom coins were tightly grouped in year.  I always get a special kick out of V nickels...not sure why!

• Like 2

A very good hunt & the trash count is not bad at, especially for a public park.

• Like 1

Over here Indian’s typically read 18-19 with the Nox at old home sites. Your gonna love that M-Core...it’s a real coin killer.

Strick  

• Like 1

Great relic hunt and nice coins. 

• Like 1

Cool hunt GB. 👍 I can see why you added some suspense. 🙂

I hope the M-core works out for you, after using that 10x5 I'm surprised you didn't opt for the 900. 🤔 A friend of mine is using it with success, but it takes some getting used to, especially the expanded range.

Sad but puzzling story, a few days ago I went hunting and dug two toasted IHPs, this one really gets me, the other shows no real details at all:20230308_083519.thumb.jpg.c7f42a5a595f3c5ab2cb6ce8e7626244.jpg

Here's the reverse:20230308_083541.thumb.jpg.6a00389ff4fcd21c6f81b061d65e648f.jpg

And a microscope shot:20230308_083440.thumb.jpg.1e3d8a58280ec466795a3a8b457b74df.jpg

1909 Indian head? 🤔

It would have to be an "S", right?

🤪

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 Million no-S Philadelphia IHP's minted in 1909.  Odds aren't in your favor, but the uncertainty is the killer!

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I hope the M-core works out for you, after using that 10x5 I'm surprised you didn't opt for the 900. 🤔 A friend of mine is using it with success, but it takes some getting used to, especially the expanded range.

The 2-d screen is what sets the Manticore apart from the Equinox 900 for me. 

I'm not as high on the Coiltek Nox 5"x10" as a lot of you (particularly you).  In my limited use it's not as deep as the 11", and that matters here -- when I've cross-checked between the two that difference is noticeable at the depth I find coins in most of my sites.  It's excellent (i.e. better) at separation, IMO, which does matter at particularly trashy sites.  So out West in ghost towns it wins in that comparison.  However I also have the 6" round DD which for those conditions has its advantages, too.  Does the 6" win for the tiny gold?  I haven't heard otherwise....  Bottom line for me is that the 5"x10" is a tweener coil.  You could re-write that as "a Goldilocks coil", too, I guess.  As always -- choose the right tool for the job.

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Sad but puzzling story, a few days ago I went hunting and dug two toasted IHPs, this one really gets me, the other shows no real details at all....

Soil chemistry (including unnatural additives as has recently been discussed on the forum) matters so much in the recovered condition of coins containing high copper content.  Looks like that one is in the 'bad' tail of the distribution.  Is this from a farm field where fertilizer is commonly used?  Yes, it's especially tough when there's enough info there (1909 date in this case) to tease you but not enough info (mintmark??) to answer the question.  The optimistic side (🤔) is this: do you really want to know that your roasty-toasty ruined coin would have been worth $1000 if only the soil chemicals had left it alone?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Is this from a farm field where fertilizer is commonly used? 

Yep. Big farm close to my house. Chase and I ran into the farmer yesterday, they're bringing lime for the fields this week. 😵 Not much more time to hunt, but it saves stuff for the future. One limed field we called "The Moon" was limed weeks ago, every step was a puff of dust.

I'm not as high on the Coiltek Nox 5"x10" as a lot of you (particularly you). 

I'm not as high on it either anymore since I've been using the Deus 2, and find I like the 13" elliptical over the 11"  and even the highly touted 9" 😀 of course were the fields more full of stalks I might not be so happy. I've gone over places I've run with the Deus and found nothing else with the Equinox.

The optimistic side (🤔) is this: do you really want to know that your roasty-toasty ruined coin would have been worth $1000 if only the soil chemicals had left it alone?

It would make the difference of me attempting to halt the bronze disease at the very least, and put it in an air-tite case, but that's about it. Even if it were valuable, I couldn't imagine selling it. 🙂

• Like 3