Field Test: Garrett Axiom - The Last W & E Treasure Review

• The title was changed to Field Test: Garrett Axiom - The Last W & E Treasure Review

Thank you  Bill and Steve, from Downunder the Axiom is proving to be a magic machine.... 

• Like 4

Sounds like an outstanding detector that I will keep on my list for the future when I am ready.

Thanks for the review.

One question I have is how does it handle EMI at beaches in built up urban environments where they build almost right up to the high tide mark. With all the emi produced so close to the water’s edge, most PI detectors really struggle.

7 hours ago, Bootscrape said:

One question I have is how does it handle EMI at beaches in built up urban environments where they build almost right up to the high tide mark. With all the emi produced so close to the water’s edge, most PI detectors really struggle.

It’s a high gain PI but in my experience the Axiom handles EMI very well. That does not mean it’s immune to it however, and honestly it’s impossible to predict how it will work in advance at a given location. New EMI sources come online almost daily and even places that were once ok are now an electromagnetic nightmare. The latest are cheap LED lights which can be one of the worst sources of stray EMI that I’ve ever encountered.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Jerry.  I basically just ran SALT and Slow, tracking off, ground balancing randomly.  This is in the wet sand mind you.  On the dry I ran FINE.  I could run the sensitivity up to 6 in the wet before things got noisy.

Easiest PI I have ever used.  I am still curious after more hours on it if I can beat the multi's at the beach where they rule right now.  Outside of an old White's you never see PI's at the beach anymore.  

By the way, I highly recommend the DD coil.   Being a VLF guy by trade it really made locating targets easy for me.

Bill 

1 hour ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Thank you, Jerry.  I basically just ran SALT and Slow, tracking off, ground balancing randomly.  This is in the wet sand mind you.  On the dry I ran FINE.  I could run the sensitivity up to 6 in the wet before things got noisy.

Easiest PI I have ever used.  I am still curious after more hours on it if I can beat the multi's at the beach where they rule right now.  Outside of an old White's you never see PI's at the beach anymore.  

By the way, I highly recommend the DD coil.   Being a VLF guy by trade it really made locating targets easy for me.

Bill 

Thanks Bill.....the settings that worked for you are different from those that worked for me. I tested mine in highly mineralized ground after one of our storms. When the current rain lets up, I'll take the Axiom out for another test with sanded-in conditions to see if it can be run with higher gain. Glad you liked the detector and the DD coil.

-Jerry