Axiom Running Noisy At Quartzite

Hey guys I was our this weekend at gold eye claim in Quartzsite AZ was using the mono that came with the kit there were guys with GM1000's and 1 GPX6000  both were killing it with small nuggets I couldn't even pickup what they were finding and the Garrett was noisy no matter what I did grant it i didn't know about the gb window only the standard pump and hold button until it beeped also my head phones keep disconnecting and picking up noise unless I'm right next to head of detector. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but the first time I took it out with another friend who has an Axiom and we both found multiple target at the 1.grain size could the noise and loss of sensitivity be from the gm100's and the GPX6000 please help im ready to send it back to see if there's an issue

13 hours ago, Rolland said:

Hey guys I was our this weekend at gold eye claim in Quartzsite AZ was using the mono that came whitey the kit there were guys with GM1000's and 1 GPX6000  both were killing it with small nuggets I Coyle even pickup what they were finding and the Garrett was noisy no matter what I did grant it didn't know about the gb window only the standard pump and hold button until it beeped also my head phones keep disconnecting or picking up noise unless I'm right next to head of detector. But sure if I'm doing singing wrong but the first time I took it out with another friend who has an Axiom and we both found multiple target at the 1.grain size could the noise and loss of sensitivity ve from the gm100's and the GPX6000 power help in ready to send it back to see if there's an issue

Old be interested in that also.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rolland said:

Hey guys I was our this weekend at gold eye claim in Quartzsite AZ was using the mono that came with the kit there were guys with GM1000's and 1 GPX6000  both were killing it with small nuggets I couldn't even pickup what they were finding and the Garrett was noisy no matter what I did grant it i didn't know about the gb window only the standard pump and hold button until it beeped also my head phones keep disconnecting and picking up noise unless I'm right next to head of detector. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but the first time I took it out with another friend who has an Axiom and we both found multiple target at the 1.grain size could the noise and loss of sensitivity be from the gm100's and the GPX6000 please help im ready to send it back to see if there's an issue

Just a thought did you try a noise cancel with the other detectors close by? What settings did you try? Sounds like interference.

I would like to know, I haven't been out yet, just trying at home with lots of EMI but can still get the machine quiet, but only on sens. 2 can still pick up a very small target 0.056gr. Any higher sens. and machine becomes unstable due to the high EMI. This is with the Mono coil.

I went down the road away from the houses to a skate park to give the machine a try. Well! I could not quieten the machine down at all, not a chance on my small test bit, the coil didn't like the ground at all no matter what I did. Then I had a look around, there was some sort of tower up on the hill, streetlights with underground power and cameras! So went 200meters down the road, the nearest houses about 200meters away. And machine ran beautifully on sens. up to 5/6. And I thought that there was something wrong with the machine at the other spot.

Re the headphones I did find if I looked over my right shoulder they would drop out for some reason? Not sure where the transmitter is in the Axiom or wear the receiver is in the headphones, so got to have another look at that.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2023 at 5:50 PM, Rolland said:

If you did a proper ground balance (over a clean, target free area pump up and down till the audio response from the ground is barely noticeable), and a frequency scan you should have a stable detector. The window ground balance is for incorporating a hot rock into what you want eliminated.

After a proper frequency scan and ground balance, if you are still getting too much chatter from your detector you need to check what detector mode you are using (normal is default), that your sensitivity is 4 or less, and adjust your threshold until you get the background hum where you want it (to include going negative if needed)…..and then adjust those settings as needed over a good test target.

The Axiom can operate easily with other machines near it, as long as that frequency scan is done properly.

Above all else check this forum for guides to using the Axiom, there are videos and basic instructions that will get you where you want to be.

• Like 5

On 3/7/2023 at 10:34 PM, All_Metal_Mode said:

If you did a proper ground balance (over a clean, target free area pump up and down till the audio response from the ground is barely noticeable), and a frequency scan you should have a stable detector. The window ground balance is for incorporating a hot rock into what you want eliminated.

After a proper frequency scan and ground balance, if you are still getting too much chatter from your detector you need to check what detector mode you are using (normal is default), that your sensitivity is 4 or less, and adjust your threshold until you get the background hum where you want it (to include going negative if needed)…..and then adjust those settings as needed over a good test target.

The Axiom can operate easily with other machines near it, as long as that frequency scan is done properly.

Above all else check this forum for beginners guides to using the Axiom, there are videos and basic instructions that will get you where you want to be.

I did everything you mentioned this isn't the first time out with the Axiom that's why I was coming here to see if I did something wrong or if my machine has an issue. The previous time I went out with a group there was my Axiom, my friends Axiom, an SDC2300, GPX6000 and a gold monster 1000 not only did it run quietly we were hitting targets that weighed 1 grain it's on video, all the other times I've been out with the Axiom it has been by myself.

• Like 1

The detector is extremely sensitive. Around my house and immediate area, I’ve had to run on 2 sens. Even at 2 it is very sensitive. Garrett could reprogram it to make 2 clicks per block. Making it 16 steps instead of 8, for a finer adjustment. I think that they will make refinements once they get enough feedback and create a program for updates.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rled2005 said:

The detector is extremely sensitive. Around my house and immediate area, I’ve had to run on 2 sens. Even at 2 it is very sensitive. Garrett could reprogram it to make 2 clicks per block. Making it 16 steps instead of 8, for a finer adjustment. I think that they will make refinements once they get enough feedback and create a program for updates.

Ok this is good to know,  I think the lowest I went was 5. The guy with the 6000 was saying oh no you should be running this wide open there want alot of hotrocks and very low mineralization. What bugged me was I ran it with a group before and it was the quietest machine was also hitting the same targets the 6000 would hit but not as loud by a mile the 6000 so far from what I've seen it so damn sensitive. Plus when my headphones kept disconnecting and cutting out that was bugging me. I'm going to call garrett today so far they have been amazing to deal with. 

Rolland go back and check out Steves Axiom posts especially in regards to sensitivity settings. It is not an Auto machine as the 6000 is, thus requires user input and time to understand, master it and you will not be disappointed.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Norvic said:

Rolland go back and check out Steves Axiom posts especially in regards to sensitivity settings. It is not an Auto machine as the 6000 is, thus requires user input and time to understand, master it and you will not be disappointed.

Agree! This^ This^ This^

It's not just about GB, frequency scan, and sensitivity (though it can be that simple in mild ground and low EMI).  I've summarized my approach to "noise" below based on Steve's Axiom recommendations and the settings descriptions in the user manual.

Every setting is critical and addresses the different sources of noise (EMI and Ground Feedback) that affect stability.

Rolland - it is essential that you learn how to differentiate whether the noise/instability you are experiencing is coming from ground feedback due to frequent variations in ground effects or hot rocks OR if the source is EMI.  I address a recommended methodology to figure this out below and what settings to adjust once you've figured out the source/type of noise/instability.

Ground related stability/settings:

GB is dual channel and different methods are spelled out in the manual to help you cancel ground/salt and/or hot rocks.  Learn the nuances.

Note that the mode selections are really timing settings that are geared more towards soil type (mild, difficult, hot, and salt) vs. target "size" (fine, normal large, and salt). So pick the mode based on your prevailing local ground conditions.

Decide on whether you want/need to use GB tracking noting that using aggressive tracking can affect depth and stability.  Coming from my GPX hot ground experience, I like to let the detector tell me (via ground feedback audio) when it needs to be manually rebalanced than risk missing marginal target signals by using tracking.  If I did consider using ground tracking, it would be no more aggressive than SLOW.

EMI related stability:

Start with default sensitivity and set SPEED to SLOW for maximum stability and run a frequency scan.  Adjust sensitivity as necessary and threshold to suit.  I like mine barely audible.  Don't be afraid to reduce sensitivity as necessary to get the machinecto run stable and quiet.  In high EMI suburban areas that might mean running sensitivity as low as 2 or 3, if that's what it takes to get a stable threshold to sense targetsxatvthe edge ofcdetection.  Yes you will lose depth and small target sensitivity but that's preferred to not being able to differentiate any target out of continuous noise.

To differentiate Ground Noise from EMI stability, set mode based on the prevailing ground conditions (i.e., mild/fine, difficult/normal, hot/large, or salt), Ground Balance with tracking off then keep your coil grounded and stationary.  If you experience noise/instability then the noise source is likely EMI > frequency scan and then adjust speed, sensitivity, and threshold as necessary.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1