Axiom Running Noisy At Quartzite

I've had the same issue with the headphones cutting out when I'm kneeling with the scoop.  Other than that I really like the Axiom. Lots of good advice in the above posts. Been alternating use with the wife's 6000 and both machines have their place. The Axiom grows on you as you learn the nuances of the machine.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 8:50 PM, Rolland said:

also my head phones keep disconnecting and picking up noise unless I'm right next to head of detector

One thing I have learned on minimizing dropouts when using the Garrett wireless phones is to keep the receiver side of the phones (the cup with the power switch and status light) on the side of my head adjacent to my swing arm to keep my noggin from blocking transmission between the control head and the phones.  It really makes a difference.

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

27 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

One thing I have learned on minimizing dropouts when using the Garrett wireless phones is to keep the receiver side of the phones (the cup with the power switch and status light) on the side of my head adjacent to my swing arm to keep my noggin from blocking transmission between the control head and the phones.  It really makes a difference.

Yup. The signal is easily blocked by body parts between the receiver and transmitter. This is the best tip for preventing drop outs you are going to see short of going to the separate WR-1 receiver as I have done.

Rolland, 

One of the biggest contributors to EMI and instability that I have seen is detectorists having their cell phones on while in their pockets. I was helping a friend with his brand new ML GPX 5000 at Rich Hill, AZ. and my 5000 was running dead quiet, while his was unstable and noisy. I asked him to empty his pockets...his cell was on, he had car and house keys, change,  a wallet and other items. Once he removed all those metal and electrical items, his GPX 5000 ran quiet.🤔

Bill

• Like 4

I don't know if it's the same with the Axiom as it is with the GPZ but having a Garrett Carrot in your pocket or anywhere really can make it run a bit unstable.  Even though the Carrot it switched off it still causes the issue.   It's the reason I upgraded (well downgraded it turns out) to the Minelab Pro-Find 35, I then wasn't happy with it and changed over to the XP Mi-4 pinpointer which also disengages the pinpointer coil

This image below is Minelab's Pro-Find marketing for the feature.

DIF.thumb.jpg.9133a3f0caa00cc017017690b56fffc7.jpg

Just something to keep in mind if you're having EMI problems and can't work out why, it is another possible cause.

It appears to really work, both the Minelab and XP are quite a bit better than the various other pinpointers I own without the feature.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2023 at 2:29 PM, cobill said:

Rolland, 

One of the biggest contributors to EMI and instability that I have seen is detectorists having their cell phones on while in their pockets. I was helping a friend with his brand new ML GPX 5000 at Rich Hill, AZ. and my 5000 was running dead quiet, while his was unstable and noisy. I asked him to empty his pockets...his cell was on, he had car and house keys, change,  a wallet and other items. Once he removed all those metal and electrical items, his GPX 5000 ran quiet.🤔

Bill

No wonder mine is always noisy 🙂

On 3/9/2023 at 6:59 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Yup. The signal is easily blocked by body parts between the receiver and transmitter. This is the best tip for preventing drop outs you are going to see short of going to the separate WR-1 receiver as I have done.

I received a WR-1 about 3 weeks ago, it works flawless. Also, I can use my favorite headphones or any other that I choose.

• Like 3