Jump to content

Quest X Pointer Max


Recommended Posts

Picked up a Quest X Pointer max Pin Pointer, I will say this is probably the most sensitive pin pointers I have ever used, and it is a discriminating pin pointer which works very very good, it is more of a tip pointer like the TRX was as it has a dead spot from the tip to the main housing it does give a tone when you get rite up against the main housing and at the tip there is about a 3 inch space between the main housing and the tip where it does not sound off, it has a high, medium, and low sensitivity setting plus a boost sensitivity setting, I started out in the boost setting and actually had to turn it down to medium to high sensitivity because it kept going off in boost mode, the discrimination also is spot on with this Quest X Pointer Max, it has vibration and tone settings with 5 volume levels and I will say this is the loudest pin pointer I have ever used, I currently have the Fisher F Pulse, Nokta/Macro Pulse Dive,Garrett Original Pro Pointer which I purchased in 2009 and now the Quest X Pointer Max, the F pulse I could not even hear the thing at all, the Pulse Dive was so dang heavy it would literally pull your pants down if you had it on your belt, my original Garrett pro pointer was just getting old, so I decided to give the X Pointer Max a try and I will say I am glad I did very nice discriminating pointer that actually works great, the only thing I do not like about the Quest X Pointer Max is the buttons are a little hard to push but I can live with them because all the other features out way the one thing I do not like

https://www.questmetaldetectors.com/xpointermax-pinpointer-discriminate

just thought I would share

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have a Quest X Pointer Max too and really like it except for the hard to push buttons, but something I can live with also and plenty loud. If it keeps going off in boost turn on with pointer touching the clean ground with no metal and it should ground balance it. You might lose a bit of sensitivity.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bought one of these and reviewed it in 2021 along with a couple other forum members, my first (fairly awkward) review of a product here. 馃榾 It's been in my detecting bag ever since. I use it for its discrimination, when going after an iffy target once I get close to it with my main pinpointer I'll use it to see if the target is iron, and stop digging if it is. It's been pretty good in that respect but not flawless.

Not long ago I was chasing a strong non-ferrous target or so I thought, it was probably 15-20" deep when it finally came out. When I was right on top of it I used the Quest and it sounded off full non ferrous.20230228_174936.thumb.jpg.b6ece3484b38850d8671c09e09870b5b.jpg

While a cool find, this iron stirrup completely fooled it (and my detector), probably because it was hardened.

On the bright side, it also kept me going in this same field to retrieve this that was at least 12" deep:20221114_191335.thumb.jpg.55fa37fe04ed765369e3f00f3974fce5.jpg

It's not my primary pointer for sure, as its high sensitivity settings as mentioned above cause it to go a bit nutty. Of late in the presence of other detectors and wireless stuff it's been giving an error message, something about holding it straight up. 馃樀 That's after over a year of use (abuse) and a lot of new gear, I'm not the only one to have noticed this.

This issue is not unique, my main pointer will go nuts like that as well, but it's not as annoying and goes far deeper than this one. Of the 4 I have it is my second choice, but as stated it is always with me. I wouldn't recommend it as an only pinpointer.

Overall it's a helpful tool to have available, worth the money and the extra carry weight. 馃檪聽It's well worth bringing attention to this pinpointer again. 馃憤

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Detecta said:

I have a Quest X Pointer Max too and really like it except for the hard to push buttons, but something I can live with also and plenty loud. If it keeps going off in boost turn on with pointer touching the clean ground with no metal and it should ground balance it. You might lose a bit of sensitivity.

I tried the touching the ground thing but it still would not shut up while in Boost mode, I think it is because of all the Magnetite that is in the ground where I detect, you can drag a 2 inch rare earth magnet through the dirt and it comes out looking like a tennis ball

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I鈥檓 looking for a new pinpointer to replace my 6 year old TRX (it was replaced once under warranty before Whites became defunct). 聽I had thought about the XP MI6, but I really like the discrimination feature of the Quest and that it detects mainly from the tip like the TRX. 聽I was going to order the pinpointer max, but I see now where the newest 2023 version has the magic holster that turns the pinpointer on and off when removing or replacing it in the magic holster. 聽However, from searching for the newest version, it looks like no one has them in stock. 聽Does anyone know when they鈥檒l become available? 聽

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2023 at 10:44 AM, DSMITH said:

Picked up a Quest X Pointer max Pin Pointer, I will say this is probably the most sensitive pin pointers I have ever used, and it is a discriminating pin pointer which works very very good...

I agree , I use it since 2 years now and it is an excellent pinpointer , very reliable and more compact than its competitors . It has a lithium battery much more reliable than alcaline or NiMh batteries , etc ..聽 Yes the buttons are a little hard but this is really the only ( little ) negative thing about this pinpointer for me ..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, NCtoad said:

I鈥檓 looking for a new pinpointer to replace my 6 year old TRX (it was replaced once under warranty before Whites became defunct). 聽I had thought about the XP MI6, but I really like the discrimination feature of the Quest and that it detects mainly from the tip like the TRX. 聽I was going to order the pinpointer max, but I see now where the newest 2023 version has the magic holster that turns the pinpointer on and off when removing or replacing it in the magic holster. 聽However, from searching for the newest version, it looks like no one has them in stock. 聽Does anyone know when they鈥檒l become available? 聽

Actually after purchasing my first X Pointer Max I liked it so much I ended up purchasing the 2023 model X Pointer Max with the Magic Holster, personally from using both the older version and the new version with the magic holster I like the new 2023 model even more, a few of the things I really like about the new 2023 model I can run the new version on boost sensitivity now with no or very little falsing, I also like that now I can leave it on and re holster it and the new version goes into stand by mode ready to pin point when you remove it from the holster, as far as the buttons they are still hard to push but now with the magic holster that is no longer an issue.

Both versions are great pin pointers but the new 2023 model is just a little better in my opinion on a couple of things like not having to fiddle with the button to turn it on and off and now it can be ran at max sensitivity other than those two things both the old version and new 2023 version are basically the same

i purchased the 2023 model from Charlene and Andy Sabisch, I can provide you with their phone number if you want to call them

I believe the name of their store is

https://www.treasurehuntingoutfitters.com/?fbclid=IwAR03mQol7QI3TgwIaxvRseK5dTXYaTeWreo7zASDiMkQkfLRbH-WmG09iNw

they are in Pennsylvania now聽

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Actually after purchasing my first X Pointer Max I liked it so much I ended up purchasing the 2023 model X Pointer Max with the Magic Holster, personally from using both the older version and the new version with the magic holster I like the new 2023 model even more, a few of the things I really like about the new 2023 model I can run the new version on boost sensitivity now with no or very little falsing, I also like that now I can leave it on and re holster it and the new version goes into stand by mode ready to pin point when you remove it from the holster, as far as the buttons they are still hard to push but now with the magic holster that is no longer an issue.

Both versions are great pin pointers but the new 2023 model is just a little better in my opinion on a couple of things like not having to fiddle with the button to turn it on and off and now it can be ran at max sensitivity other than those two things both the old version and new 2023 version are basically the same

i purchased the 2023 model from Charlene and Andy Sabisch, I can provide you with their phone number if you want to call them

I believe the name of their store is

https://www.treasurehuntingoutfitters.com/?fbclid=IwAR03mQol7QI3TgwIaxvRseK5dTXYaTeWreo7zASDiMkQkfLRbH-WmG09iNw

they are in Pennsylvania now聽

Thank you! 聽 I just ordered one off their website. 聽$129.95 and free shipping.聽

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...