Recovery Speed In Relation To Ground Mineralization

Hello.

In my area, I don't have salt, magnetite, or any other type of mineralized ground. But, I still like to learn about all aspects of metal defecting and ground conditions. So, here is my question with some preamble:

Those that I know that have highly mineralized ground, aren't anywhere near maxing out the recovery speed. Yet, a You Tuber that I occasionally watch, claims that because of the mineralization in his ground, he has to run maximum recovery speed, or he loses depth. This is seemingly despite the fact that maximum recovery speed suffers a great deal of depth loss.

Does he have some sort of unique mineralization in which that can be true?

• The title was changed to Recovery Speed In Relation To Ground Mineralization

Everyone's ground is different and so is their skill set and probably their definition of "depth".   It is much more commonly understood that high detector Gain levels don't play well with high ground mineralization or trash content.  This is another example of the importance of doing your own testing in your own ground.

I like the question/thought process Digalicious. 

His statement doesn't make sense to me.  With my limited knowledge it seems like driving in the fog with your high beams on.

There are different types of mineralization though....I guess that could be a factor.

Whether mineralized or not, if he can properly ground balance (or even go a pinch negative) to effectively mitigate the dirt, then adjust sensitivity, frequency, and/or coil size to mitigate EMI he should be able to maximize depth.

I had a permission with an electric dog fence.  The only machine I could run within 10ft of it was my Impact, running at 20kHz (and adjusting the freq offset about every 20ft), using the tiny 5" coil.  I was able to pull a couple largies, an 1881 silver candian qtr, and the belt plate in my avatar.

Most sites aren't that demanding but environmental issues cause SOME need to tweak.  What he's saying defies logic.

4 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Thank you for the reply JCR, but I can't figure out how your reply relates to my question 🙂

Perhaps I misread the focus your question,, thou it seems to be edited now to highlight Recovery speed instead of Sensitivity..

• Like 2

I just now saw you last post Sir.  No offense intended or taken.

For me Recovery speed is another adjustment that needs to be experimented by each user on Their ground. Too low and you can miss targets because of swing speed, mineralization, trash density and who knows what else. Too high and you will also miss targets for the same reasons. There is a sweet spot for each scenario because it is all inter related; Recovery, swing speed, mineralization, soil moisture etc.. and sensitivity. The only way I can learn this stuff is to frequently ask questions & experiment.

• Like 3

This is exactly what I asked him about a month ago, but I don't know how his reasoning in his answer is possible:

ME: "Do you absolutely have to run the recovery speed at 10? I mean, there's a massive 4" gradual depth loss between 5 and 10 on the recovery speed. 5 is pretty darn fast as it is. What would happen if you used 5?"

HIM: Recovery speed 10 is way way way deeper in my mineralized soil than 5. Slower recovery speeds are not able to process the minerals in my ground. I would be very very lucky to get 5" deep coins in my hot soil with recovery speed at 5.

10 hours ago, Digalicious said:

because of the mineralization in his ground, he has to run maximum recovery speed, or he loses depth. This is seemingly despite the fact that maximum recovery speed suffers a great deal of depth loss.

I would say that he maximizes his recovery speed to prevent masking by the high mineralization.  The faster speed sometimes lets me see/hear targets that are unheard at a lower speed.  Good targets can be more pronounced at a lower recovery speed and longer but it really is a trade off as you say with sensitivity level AND coil swing speed.

If you are cruising along and you catch a bit of a target then you come back and interrogate it.  If it is a target that you are looking for then these clues should recalibrate your thinking so you can zero in on that layer, area or line if you are on a beach.  It is a subject I've been commenting on ever since I got my 800.

I'll look up a couple of threads.

Here is one:  

• Like 3

Your friend is right. Higher recovery speed in highly mineralized ground does better than lower recovery and can be deeper. I hunt a beach here on the Sacramento river that is full of black sand and hunting with the Nox 800 at 6-7 does way better then lower recovery speeds. You can hear the machine processing the ground faster and the targets are clearer. And yet I am still able to pull targets  that are sometimes two-3 scoops deep. I am currently trying to learn this beach again with the manticore...The deus 2 does ok there. From the archives...

• Like 2