Little San Domingo Wash Hunt GPX 6000

32 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Jeff, Glad to see you out there chasing the heavy metal and cleaning up the environment for all of our youth days of running around with .22 rifles and slinging lead at anything that moved.  Yes, I was one of those youngsters that shot up more bottles tweety birds and split the ears of jackrabbits for nothing more to do than get rif of a brick of ammo.

Good report on the EMI update and yes that's quite a few targets, so tell me the CoilTek GoldHawk 10" Ellip is getting the bushes and between rocks quite well.  

I need to get down there one winter and say hello to Bill, it's been a while since I chatted with him.  Who knows, might even chase a few nuggets with him one day.

Does anyone know if Minelab Australia or other ever did come out with the serial #'s of the faulty GPX-6000's?  I had a customer want to take advantage of the free Gold Monster 1000 with a GPX-6000 purchase during Christmas, but he wanted to know if my inventory was the new updated version without the issues? Very frustrating for a dealer to lose a sale.  I still have not been informed.

Nice gold and again thanks for providing us some feedback.

I definitely did my "civic duty" cleaning up the areas I gridded. Hopefully it will unmask some gold targets for somebody else someday.

I can't remember what the cutoff date was for those GPX 6000 made before the audio mod was incorporated into the later models. Seems like it was in September 2022......it's in one of the lengthy GPX 6000 problem topics on this forum somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Jeff, Glad to see you out there chasing the heavy metal and cleaning up the environment for all of our youth days of running around with .22 rifles and slinging lead at anything that moved.  Yes, I was one of those youngsters that shot up more bottles tweety birds and split the ears of jackrabbits for nothing more to do than get rif of a brick of ammo.

Good report on the EMI update and yes that's quite a few targets, so tell me the CoilTek GoldHawk 10" Ellip is getting the bushes and between rocks quite well.  

I need to get down there one winter and say hello to Bill, it's been a while since I chatted with him.  Who knows, might even chase a few nuggets with him one day.

Does anyone know if Minelab Australia or other ever did come out with the serial #'s of the faulty GPX-6000's?  Maybe a post in times past on here that I missed?  I had a customer want to take advantage of the free Gold Monster 1000 with a GPX-6000 purchase during Christmas, but he wanted to know if my inventory was the new updated version without the issues? As a dealer who sells most of the higher end Gold Machines, I expected an email or update?   

Nice gold and again thanks for providing us some feedback.

Gerry- I sent ML service in AU my serial number and they responded very quickly about mine needing service. Send out your numbers to them or maybe they’ll send you a cutoff date?

Jeff - thanks for your reply. I have the same coil and it is a pleasure to use. Unfortunately I haven’t found gold with it yet but it is good at finding lead fragments.  I used the 11-inch last time I was out and did find good responses to small stuff fairly deep with it.  I should try a comparison sometime on the same targets.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 10:03 AM, GotAU? said:

Gerry- I sent ML service in AU my serial number and they responded very quickly about mine needing service. Send out your numbers to them or maybe they’ll send you a cutoff date?

Jeff - thanks for your reply. I have the same coil and it is a pleasure to use. Unfortunately I haven’t found gold with it yet but it is good at finding lead fragments.  I used the 11-inch last time I was out and did find good responses to small stuff fairly deep with it.  I should try a comparison sometime on the same targets.

Just curious why you had to reach out to Australia?  Did they provide you details USA could not?

So if they could tell the serial number of your detector was one of the faulty ones, did they provide the range of serial #'s so everyone can know?

Glad they could get you taken care of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Just curious why you had to reach out to Australia?  Did they provide you details USA could not?

So if they could tell the serial number of your detector was one of the faulty ones, did they provide the range of serial #'s so everyone can know?

I could be wrong but I believe that @phrunt posted at the least the cutoff date of the faulty ones.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Hey Gerry.  My audio service went well, I just PM’d you more details…

When I sent in my Serial Number they only said it was in the to be serviced batch. 

• Like 1

After thinking about my experience some more with the GPX 6000 last week at the LSD, I agree with Steve H and some others that the GPX 6000 is almost as sensitive to small targets as most higher frequency VLFs without their ground/hot rock handling issues.

At least at the LSD, the GPX 6000 had very predictable and controllable hot rock responses. In addition, the ground was very damp. I could have run the GPX 6000 even hotter on manual 9 or 10 with no issues but I didn't see the point in pushing it since bedrock was only around 8" or less in the areas I was hunting.

Thanks for all of your responses.

I can't wait to get back out there.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 4:43 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Yes, I was one of those youngsters that shot up more bottles tweety birds and split the ears of jackrabbits for nothing more to do than get rif of a brick of ammo.

That's a bit sad really. Don't suppose you bothered to pick up all the broken glass from the smashed up bottles but just left it laying about out there.

D4G

On 3/16/2023 at 12:38 PM, dig4gold said:

That's a bit sad really. Don't suppose you bothered to pick up all the broken glass from the smashed up bottles but just left it laying about out there.

D4G

No, I was a young kid back in the late 60's and early 70's so trash dumps in the desert were very common.  One of the best places to go target practicing back then.  As we get older and more wise, we become educated and some of us change our ways.  

Today, so many folks dig up a piece of trash and toss it back on the ground.  Whereas those of us who've learned over time, we tend to dig up a piece of trash and pack it out, so we don't find it again.

Yes in some areas and laws (which I don't agree with) if you do dig up a nail or rusty tobacco tin, you are supposed to leave it there and not remove it?  Why is that.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

No, I was a young kid back in the late 60's and early 70's so trash dumps in the desert were very common.  One of the best places to go target practicing back then.  As we get older and more wise, we become educated and some of us change our ways.  

Today, so many folks dig up a piece of trash and toss it back on the ground.  Whereas those of us who've learned over time, we tend to dig up a piece of trash and pack it out, so we don't find it again.

Yes in some areas and laws (which I don't agree with) if you do dig up a nail or rusty tobacco tin, you are supposed to leave it there and not remove it?  Why is that.

Because Jerry we need to leave those Historically significant items for the up and coming stuffy and overly zealous pompous Richards that they are Archeologist of the future. As well as for others to enjoy of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

Because Jerry we need to leave those Historically significant items for the up and coming stuffy and overly zealous Archeologist of the future.As well as for others to enjoy of course.

So I'm now...I'm either labeled as a thief who stole history from the future or....I'm label a lazy a$$ liter bug.   One thing is for certain, as I'm becoming of age, I realize trying to please everyone is just as crazy as trying to educate everyone.

• Like 8