Rye Patch Nevada, Info Needed

I'm planning a trip to the Rye Patch in Nevada this year.
I have some questions regarding the area and usable detectors.

1) I understand that there is a split of ownership between BLM and a railroad.
  Is it OK to detect on the railroad's land?

2) I understand some of the BLM land has claims on it which one should respect when
   detecting. How do you know where the claims are?

3) Is there a readily available map
   of the area showing the claims and coordinates?

4) How is the mineralization? Do you have to use a PI or can a good VLF be just as effective?
   Put another way, if you could only bring one detector, which would it be?

Thanks!
George in Oregon

There are no maps you can easily lookup that give you all the active mining claims.  Finding where the claims are located requires a bit of research.  Land Matters gives you some tools.    

I think, but I could be wrong, the so called railroad lands mineral right's have been sold or leased to mining companies.  Although, I have seen numerous people detecting on these areas.

Others may chime in.  

• Like 1

The most recognized area of Rye Patch is well claimed and well worked.  I saw several new claim markers on my last trip in some areas that were otherwise considered open.  Beware of offers to buy a claim out there.  A very unscrupulous seller has been preying on the unwitting.   VLF's may find some gold, but PI's are the only real solution.  The ground is very salty, lots of alkaline in the ground.  In the spring it gets cold and windy.  Last year I was wearing shorts one day and beset with freezing rain and hail the next.  There are decent camping facilities at Rye Patch Reservoir.  Send me a PM when you plan on going, I'm out there off and on through the year.  

• Like 8