Manticore Headphone Option Experimentation/experiences

6 hours ago, Sinclair said:

That doesn't really work for us waterhunters.

What was your solution for the Eqx 800?

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

What was your solution for the Eqx 800?

I'll let Sinclair chime in, but apparently he was using the WM08 in a manner that it was minimally exposed to water while water hunting.  The plug-in APTX-LL transmitters suggested here will likely die if the Manticore itself takes a dunk in the water or is hit by a wave, but if the WM08 is kept high on the body (attached to a hat or the wired phones themselves) or kept in a dry bag, then water hunting is feasible.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 1:33 AM, Chase Goldman said:

I'll let Sinclair chime in, but apparently he was using the WM08 in a manner that it was minimally exposed to water while water hunting.  The plug-in APTX-LL transmitters suggested here will likely die if the Manticore itself takes a dunk in the water or is hit by a wave, but if the WM08 is kept high on the body (attached to a hat or the wired phones themselves) or kept in a dry bag, then water hunting is feasible.

Bingo! 🤠

Mostly hunting waist-deep. If you dunk the control box >10-20cm, you'll loose the wireless connection anyway. WM08 sits up neck height or inside the wade trousers.

I have a second wm08 module I was thinking maybe the 105 headphones chip could be adapted to fit. ? Anyone know if this could be an option ?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Chesroy said:

I have a second wm08 module I was thinking maybe the 105 headphones chip could be adapted to fit. ? Anyone know if this could be an option ?

Not out of the question, but you are probably better off just purchasing a Nordic nrf5340 Dev Kit for about 50 bucks (Google it) then adding power, headphone jack and charge input, then fashioning a purpose built homebrew case for that, rather than cannibalizing your $150 Headphones and hoping the electronics/power/battery fit and can be wired up to the WM-08 jack similar to the Wi-Stream board.  But that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

14 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Not out of the question, but you are probably better off just purchasing a Nordic nrf5340 Dev Kit for about 50 bucks (Google it) then adding power, headphone jack and charge input, then fashioning a purpose built homebrew case for that, rather than cannibalizing your $150 Headphones and hoping the electronics/power/battery fit and can be wired up to the WM-08 jack similar to the Wi-Stream board.  But that's just me.

Ya, those ole corded headphones look better and better every day! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

...You are probably better off just purchasing a Nordic nrf5340 Dev Kit for about 50 bucks (Google it) then adding power, headphone jack and charge input, then fashioning a purpose built homebrew case for that,...

Does it (link) have to be programmed to be able to communicate with the Manticore control unit's BT/LE transmitter and if so is that just a trial-and-error process which is practicable?  Otherwise??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chesroy said:

Good point.  If the headphone electronics can't be stuffed into the WM08 module, then you can probably put it in a homebrew enclosure and wire up a phone-out jack.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:12 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Does it (link) have to be programmed to be able to communicate with the Manticore control unit's BT/LE transmitter and if so is that just a trial-and-error process which is practicable?  Otherwise??

Yes, it has to be programmed and it supports proprietary protocols, which Minelab possibly used (and may be the reason, why no off-the-shelf headphones connect..), but that still hasn't been fully proved, as still very few products support the new BLE audio codecs.

What about the ML-85? Maybe it's a little bit cheaper..

• Like 1

Did a small detecting excursion to the desert a few weeks ago and it was already approaching 100F. The ML105 wireless headphones were not the best headphones from a comfort perspective to wear in the heat, the ML85 wireless headphones would've been much cooler to wear.  I'm not really an earbud enthusiast, so it'll be interesting to see what other options are out there for warmer weather detecting.

• Like 1