Manticore Headphone Option Experimentation/experiences

On 5/13/2023 at 10:45 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Not out of the question, but you are probably better off just purchasing a Nordic nrf5340 Dev Kit for about 50 bucks (Google it) then adding power, headphone jack and charge input, then fashioning a purpose built homebrew case for that, rather than cannibalizing your $150 Headphones and hoping the electronics/power/battery fit and can be wired up to the WM-08 jack similar to the Wi-Stream board.  But that's just me.

Mouser has them in stock too:  https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nordic-Semiconductor/NRF5340-DK?qs=T94vaHKWudSvpk%2Fi5MmNkA%3D%3D

We used to have tons of electronics shops in Silicon Valley, but most are gone now.   They were good for parts like this, and all the random stuff they acquired to sell.  It was fun scavenging through Silicon Valleys scraps 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The weather is heating up in the UK and the Manticore headphones are getting sweaty and uncomfortable. Minelab hasn't come up with any alternative solutions so it was good to see this hack by Scott Elliss in the UK. He's essentially used one ML80 ear cup and turned it into a WM08 style box that you can plug in any earbuds or headphones with a lead. He described the wiring as quick and simple to do, but didn't give an exact breakdown of whats involved.

May be an image of text

Boy, that connector looks bulkier than the whole ear cup 🤨

I'd use a 3.5 audio jack or mini xlr - and rehouse the complete pcb in a 3d-printed case for example.

I've searched for ML85s some time ago.. seems you can't purchase them separately over here atm.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sinclair said:

I'd use a 3.5 audio jack or mini xlr - and rehouse the complete pcb in a 3d-printed case for example.

I've searched for ML85s some time ago.. seems you can't purchase them separately over here atm.

The guy on this video strips down the ML105s and states that putting the PCB into a 3D printed case would be a good solution. (You need auto translate on (unless you speak Russian!)) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StuWW said:

The guy on this video strips down the ML105s and states that putting the PCB into a 3D printed case would be a good solution

Jeeze.  This is WAY over the top. I do not understand this little bit of sweat issue for QUALITY headphones. Going to still stick with my Black widows 365. 

8 hours ago, Sinclair said:

That’s the connector and earbuds he probably uses to direct connect into the Manticore or Nox head unit headphone jack when water hunting.  You can stick any 1/8” plug into the headphone jack of the ML85 once you rewire it to provide audio out of the headphone jack while wirelessly connected to Manticore, Nox 700/900, or Xterra Pro.  I’m just going with an el cheapo plug in APTX LL transmitter until 3rd party BT LE LC3 receivers come out.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:25 AM, Chase Goldman said:

I’m just going with an el cheapo plug in APTX LL transmitter until 3rd party BT LE LC3 receivers come out.

That is exactly what I did for both the X-Pro and Manticore, working fine, but just in case I have a set of ear buds with a long wire so if any batteries go dead I have easy back up in a zip lock bag that weighs about 2oz.🙂

If you want to read what I think is the latest about the BT LE LC3, I found this, which makes is sound unlikely that Minelab is using it.  Could Minelab be that far in front of the curve?

https://www.androidbrick.com/bluetooth-le-audio-lc3-codec/

I used up my Metal detecting budget, theoretically these could work. But I have a feeling they won't.  Active Noise Canceling, not sure if I want that on all the time.

image.png.e74ed657147a2bf60b7d4514fe36c769.png