Manticore Headphone Option Experimentation/experiences

Dug D

From the ML-105 manual it says that it uses the Nordic nRF5340 chipset.

https://www.nordicsemi.com/products/nrf5340

Its a bluetooth le chipset. 

Even though the chipset has the capabilities to use older bluetooth connection types minelab may have setup the manticore to only utilize bluetooth le specification so that it remains low latency.  Difficult to currently test this theory since there aren't many bluetooth le compatible headsets out currently.

• Like 1

I guess this is good news thanks for the link.  Maybe something else will work in the near future. 🙂

I wonder how they get around acknowledging the use of Bluetooth ?

https://www.bluetooth.com/develop-with-bluetooth/marketing-branding/brand-enforcement-program/

It was the first thing that came up when I searched is bluetooth trademarked. 

I think theres a few reasons they don't mention bluetooth at all.   If they did say it uses bluetooth just imagine all the confused people that would be calling them wondering why their old bluetooth earbuds/headsets don't work with their new detector.   The main reason is they can say if you want wireless headset then you buy ours.  Overall its just easier for them not mention it in the long run. 

57 minutes ago, Dug D said:

I guess this is good news thanks for the link.  Maybe something else will work in the near future. 🙂

I wonder how they get around acknowledging the use of Bluetooth ?

https://www.bluetooth.com/develop-with-bluetooth/marketing-branding/brand-enforcement-program/

It was the first thing that came up when I searched is bluetooth trademarked. 

The fact that the ML Manticore and Nox 700/900 phones utilize this chipset was also mentioned in the posts below including the fact that Sennheiser is utilizing this same chipset for a line of BT LE compatible wireless audio products.

In this post I discuss how a pair of BT LE compatible earbuds are not recognized by the Nox 900.  And as I also mentioned earlier in this thread. I can't be sure if the incompatibility lies with ML, Anker, or because I am screwing up the pairing process.

At this point we are really still in the dark as to whether the Xterra Pro, Nox 700/900 and Manticore wireless radios will work with 3rd Party BT LE Audio devices despite utilizing a BT LE capable chipset.

I would hope that if ML has locked down 3rd party compatibility of the wireless capability if their newest detectors that they are at least working on providing a compatible wireless receiver similar to the WM08 that will allow use of user-preferred wired phones untethered from the detector.

A related thread discussion of that option is linked below:

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 1:33 PM, GB_Amateur said:

3c) My Sunray Pro Golds with the yellow knob (these are NOT the CTX3030 version which I think has a red knob) did not work.

19 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Success.  Here is what I did:

stereo-to-mono_jack.JPG.d0107b21379100f63e298a02137b7fea.JPG

I bought four identical panel-mount jacks (3.5 mm female) as shown before and after assembly.  I soldered together the lugs corresponding to the associated plugs' central pins.  I then soldered the other four lugs (associated with the plugs' middle band and upper=common band) all together.  This is effectively what the last sketch in the Minelab Knowledge Base article shows -- turning stereo into mono.  Here are all the pieces (sans Manticore):

Manticore-cord_to_ProGolds.thumb.JPG.7e7d7f4f19d36c93e62acd24c1ff6321.JPG

That's a lot of cord!  The downside is that any stereo output audio the Manticore sends is turned into Mono.  But is there stereo audio??  (I think there may have been speculation this is occurring in some instances.)

Keep in mind this option is down the list.  And assuming Minelab's software doesn't limit Bluetooth devices that can be attached wirelessly, as Phrunt has pointed out, we should soon get multiple audio device options -- low latency wireless headphones, earbuds, and probably receivers that allow headphones to be plugged into them.

Bottom line is that we already have multiple acceptable audio solutions with hopefully even more to come.

As much a thing of beauty as @GB_Amateur's home grown Sunray/ML adapter is, I just wanted to point out/emphasize for those who DO have the CTX 3030 compatible version of the Sunray Pro Golds (I have a pair) or who are contemplating a Sunray Pro Gold purchase - tge CTX-compatible variant SunRays work just fine plugged into the Equinox 600/700/800/900 and I presume also the Manticore utilizing the ML 1/4" jack to 1/8" plug adapter cable and without the need to have the extra adapter jumper like the one GB_Amateur built. The CTX compatible Pro Golds have all the same functionality and price of the non-CTX compatible phones just with the extra yellow "compatibility" switch and with that added "universal" compatibility I recommend getting the CTX compatible version of the phones if you are contemplating getting a pair so you can avoid the need to grow your own adapter as Chuck has done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I presume also the Manticore utilizing the ML 1/4" jack to 1/8" plug adapter cable....

I assume you're referring to the cable that comes with the Manticore.  One end is 3.5 mm male (the waterproof end with screw thread to accomodate that) but the other end is 3.5 mm *male* to plug into the jack on the ML105's.  Thus if you want to plug in about any other headpones(?), certainly those typically built for metal detectors, you need some kind of adapter.

Regarding SunRay Pro Gold models, there are at least three -- two old ones that we've been discussing with yellow (non-CTX model) and red (CTX-model) volume knob endcaps, both with 1/4" plug.  There's at least one new version with 3.5 mm plug.  I recall someone here, possibly Midalake, saying these new ones are using a different speaker than the old ones, and it wasn't as satisfactory for him.  That's always a concern of mine since I've been burned so many times thinking I'm buying the same product, or at least the same quality and finding out the new versions just don't measure up.  I hope what I just said is an unsubstantiated rumor but it's worth keeping in mind.  If I were to buy another set I would do my best to find the red knob endcap (old) CTX3030 version.  But mine are working now so I'll sit tight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:
5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I presume also the Manticore utilizing the ML 1/4" jack to 1/8" plug adapter cable....

I assume you're referring to the cable that comes with the Manticore.

No I was referring to the adapter cable that ML sold as an accessory to the Nox.  Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/accessories/headphone-adaptor-cable-3-5mm-1-8-to-6-35mm-1-4-

image.png.19c890d047abbf04e3753a78245c8637.png

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

There's at least one new version with 3.5 mm plug.  I recall someone here, possibly Midalake, saying these new ones are using a different speaker than the old ones, and it wasn't as satisfactory for him.  That's always a concern of mine since I've been burned so many times thinking I'm buying the same product, or at least the same quality and finding out the new versions just don't measure up.  I hope what I just said is an unsubstantiated rumor but it's worth keeping in mind.

Thanks for this information on the 3.5mm plug version of the Sunrays.

• Like 1

Wow you guys are good at finding information, I guess I'm back to the waiting game, maybe Minelab surprises us with a module, or the latest and greatest BT LE headphones/earbuds becomes available that work with Minelab's newest detectors. That's all the optimism I have for today. 😁

• Like 2

Disassemble ML-105

ML can use board from ml-105/85 to make receiver (like wm-08) . 

Screenshot_2023-03-16-11-06-34-328_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.720d2c5d4bfb320ee51a460c90f8dded.jpg

Аuthor of the video decided to make one himself, the board has everything you need. You just need to add a connector and buttons.

• Like 2