This Arrived Yesterday.

My Air Metal Detector. Very nice construction. I will load the old ap and give it a play this weekend.20230315_054103(Medium).thumb.jpg.343cbf7760192047bd83a7092a206cb1.jpg20230315_054115(Medium).thumb.jpg.0ad8833df198a27b9d797f7ca4ccda25.jpg

• Like 6

I'm looking forward to reading about your experience with it George. Is that a magnetic charging port? Magnetic chargers scare the heck out of me. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the battery could be shorted out and fried due to conductive debris.

Maybe they've incorporated short circuit protection? Pretty common on anything with exposed terminals and most decent electronics. 

• Like 2

You're right phrunt.

This is what I found out. It's in reference to magnetic phone charging, but I'm sure it applies to all magnetic charging ports:

The battery isn't directly connected to the charging terminals, but goes through some circuitry. The phone can allow or stop current flow (such as when battery is full) so i'm guessing it requires input current to make it work.

Basically, its a non-powered terminal until current is applied. Once current is applied the circuit will accept or refuse current from the charger. If the battery is not full, it closes the circuit, and charges the battery (oversimplified). Once you remove current from the terminals, the circuit opens and the charge will stop.

=

This is true – there is a transistor (electronic switch) that turns off the charge port when the battery is full. During the night (assuming you charge your phone at night), the phone will periodically check for and accept a top up charge every so often once the battery is full. This is so it remains at 100% for the next morning when you pick it up and unplug it to go about your day.

The electronics would include a diode (one way street for electricity) to prevent a short on the charger input terminals, to prevent what you are describing.

10 hours ago, Digalicious said:

I'm looking forward to reading about your experience with it George. Is that a magnetic charging port? Magnetic chargers scare the heck out of me. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the battery could be shorted out and fried due to conductive debris.

Yes it is magnetic 

I just watched a video on this detector and it looked as if this family was detecting together with it 😍. The man detecting got a signal with the coil 7 inches off the ground and then the boy got a signal but it never showed them dig either target.

It looked to be the same detector as on here.

Chuck 

Does it matter how 'powerful' your phone is in order to run optimally?  

Better phone = better performance?

If my wife was detecting and using something like that with a cell phone here’s what it would be like .

First thing she’d be talking to her sister and at the same time watching a funny video are checking the dog pounds to see what new dogs came in. Between all of this she’d be ordering herself something off Amazon . I report Amazon now if they pass our house without stopping. That’s no joke.Well almost no joke.

Chuck 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/15/2023 at 10:31 PM, mn90403 said:

Does it matter how 'powerful' your phone is in order to run optimally?  

Better phone = better performance?

No, the brains of the operation is in the coil, with the phone acting as a passive remote. Very similar to XP machines, except Bluetooth protocol. 

• Like 3

Waiting on Quest to improve this product starting with the app.