Head To Head Comparisons

It would be informative for an out of the box zero adjustment head to head comparison on the Legend, E900 , Deus II and Manticore and any other machine you choose.

Run each detector in the closest stock program with just a ground balance. 

We'll see how good the stone stock factory setup is for a beginner. None of this "If I do this it equals that stuff". 

Real targets in the ground, no air testing, same targets for each obviously. No headphones.

A stock car drag race!

• Like 2

Stock on each of those detectors, does not equal "same". Defaults on each of those detectors does not equal "same". Each of those detectors have different default levels for recovery speed, iron bias, recovery speed, sensitivity, etc. All of which can have significant impact on whether or not a target is detected. Then of course, is different SMF modes.

In other words, taking those type of detectors out of the box, adjusting nothing, then trying to compare them, doesn't actually mean a whole heck of a lot. Ideally, each detectors settings should be equal. There are ways of doing that, and it doesn't go by the settings numbers.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Stock on each of those detectors, does not equal "same". Defaults on each of those detectors does not equal "same". Each of those detectors have different default levels for recovery speed, iron bias, recovery speed, sensitivity, etc. All of which can have significant impact on whether or not a target is detected. Then of course, is different SMF modes.

In other words, taking those type of detectors out of the box, adjusting nothing, then trying to compare them, doesn't actually mean a whole heck of a lot. Ideally, each detectors settings should be equal. There are ways of doing that, and it doesn't go by the settings numbers.

Just would show what each manufacturer sets their stock settings to the targets they can hit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

Just would show what each manufacturer sets their stock settings to the targets they can hit.

Your first post had it about right when you said "Run each detector in the closest stock program with just a ground balance"

Finding out what stock programs are the "closest" on all four detectors might take some time but your idea is a good one especially for first time users that don't want to adjust anything for say normal coin, jewelry or relic hunting areas that aren't too trashy and in normal to moderate iron mineralization.

• Like 4

Johnny,

The detectors the you mentioned, are not designed to be "turn on and go" detectors. They are designed for detectorists that know how to change the preset modes and settings in relation to what they're looking for, and the site conditions. Detectors are designed in various parts of the world, and the presets for each detector are based on a particular hunting scenario, by that particular manufacturer. As such, preset values are different for each manufacturer, and those values determine whether or not a good target is hit under a particular scenario. In other words, the presets on one detector might hit a target with a particular scenario that another detector can't hit, but under a different scenario, the opposite occurs.

A good example of that, is the latest test videos by Iffy Signals. He is comparing popular detectors with the scenario being a good target beside a nail. He doesn’t leave the preset settings where they are, because he knows that would be a meaningless comparison. In one of those comparison videos, one detector does not hit one of the targets. What does he do? He certainly does not say that detector fails the test, nor does he declare the other detector is the winner because it hit that good target. Instead, he slightly adjusts the detector’s iron bias and recovery speed, and then that detector hits the target. That occurred because the presets between those two detectors are different. It doesn’t mean one detector is better than the other, and to claim such, would be deceptive and misleading.

Now do you understand why comparing customizable detectors using only the preset settings is not only meaningless, but misleading?

• Like 1

The original poster was directing the content of his post for stock, out of the box with ground balance use specifically by a beginner. I don't know if he meant a total newbie beginner or a person with detecting experience but no experience on the detectors listed.

I can't comment on the Manticore.

Out of the box with a ground balance, the Equinox 900 in Park 1 or Beach 1 with judicious use of the horseshoe button and Deus 2 using its General or Beach programs would work very well right out of the box for a first time user if the area detected did not have coke or any other major ground condition. Not implying that head to head they would hit all of the same targets equally but it would be close.

The Legend however, in its Park M1,M2, M3 and Beach Dry using the ground and full discrimination patterns when needed has a default iron filter setting of 8 and a bottle cap setting of 0, which is not a good setup in my opinion. Something a little more middle of the road like iron filter 3 and bottle cap 1 or 2 would be more in line with general hunting at a park, playground or dry sand saltwater beach with normal trash levels and would match up better with the settings on the Equinox 900 and Deus 2.

Almost everybody using these detectors is basically a beginner at this point especially if they have had a lousy winter and if they haven't been able to do a wide variety of detecting with them, so the original posters premise is very valid in my opinion.

For a complete newbie detector user trying to run one of these detectors with no one to show them the ropes, they have my sympathy.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Johnny,

The detectors the you mentioned, are not designed to be "turn on and go" detectors. They are designed for detectorists that know how to change the preset modes and settings in relation to what they're looking for, and the site conditions. Detectors are designed in various parts of the world, and the presets for each detector are based on a particular hunting scenario, by that particular manufacturer. As such, preset values are different for each manufacturer, and those values determine whether or not a good target is hit under a particular scenario. In other words, the presets on one detector might hit a target with a particular scenario that another detector can't hit, but under a different scenario, the opposite occurs.

A good example of that, is the latest test videos by Iffy Signals. He is comparing popular detectors with the scenario being a good target beside a nail. He doesn’t leave the preset settings where they are, because he knows that would be a meaningless comparison. In one of those comparison videos, one detector does not hit one of the targets. What does he do? He certainly does not say that detector fails the test, nor does he declare the other detector is the winner because it hit that good target. Instead, he slightly adjusts the detector’s iron bias and recovery speed, and then that detector hits the target. That occurred because the presets between those two detectors are different. It doesn’t mean one detector is better than the other, and to claim such, would be deceptive and misleading.

Now do you understand why comparing customizable detectors using only the preset settings is not only meaningless, but misleading?

I wasn't looking to determine which detector is best. Just a comparison of the stock settings and the comparison to each other. Even low end detectors sometimes have rudimentary adjustments that can be explored as people learn what works better for their particular conditions. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Johnny,

I would partially agree with Digalicious except with regard to the Equinox.  The original 800 had pretty good presets in Beach and Park.  If you dig through Steve Herschbach's many posts I recall him saying the same thing.  

I also understand what Johnny...sorry, these handles are just too darn long...is saying.  If I'm new to the hobby and have no "teachers" nearby, a good "out of the box" detector would be very valuable to me.  

Personally I don't mind presets at all. They are a starting point.  For some, they may be good enough.  I have been detecting a long time and I make my adjustments as I hunt.  While I admire Iffy Signals and others who put time into these tests, when you set up a detector on a patio with a piece of wood and two targets you are eliminating so many variables (ground, multiple targets, parts of targets, etc.) that the results, while modestly interesting, just aren't of much value in the real world.

Just my opinion, to each their own.

Bill

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

I wasn't looking to determine which detector is best. Just a comparison of the stock settings and the comparison to each other. 

You said head to head comparisons of in the ground targets. So, if you're not trying to determine what detector hits targets better, then what are you trying to determine by such a head to head comparison?