Head To Head Comparisons

On 3/16/2023 at 8:14 AM, Johnnysalami1957 said:

It would be informative for an out of the box zero adjustment head to head comparison on the Legend, E900 , Deus II and Manticore and any other machine you choose.

Run each detector in the closest stock program with just a ground balance. 

We'll see how good the stone stock factory setup is for a beginner. None of this "If I do this it equals that stuff". 

Real targets in the ground, no air testing, same targets for each obviously. No headphones.

A stock car drag race!

@Digalicious The man is saying to take each detector in its factory stock program and compare how they do without touching anything but the GB. See which ones win... doesn't seem that hard to me? 

strick 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, strick said:

@Digalicious The man is saying to take each detector in its factory stock program and compare how they do without touching anything but the GB. See which ones win... doesn't seem that hard to me? 

strick 

No, it's not hard. All I'm saying is that by doing such with those detectors won't prove anything other than presets are different for each detector.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Testing the presets reveals which companies know how to best optimize the detectors they make. 

Optimized for what exact conditions? Low or high salt concentration? Low or high magnetite, low or high trash content, searching for gold? Silver? Both?

The OP later gave a suggestion of comparing Park 1 on the detectors. Ok, so the Nox has Park 1 and the Legend has Park 1. Yet, Nokta and Minelab optimized them differently. More specifically, the Nox's Park 1 is weighted lower than the Legend's Park 1. As such, the Legend in Park 1 doesn't give as good as an ID on many high conductors that are masked by nonferrous trash (compared to the Nox's Park 1). The Legend would have to be in Park 3 to have the equivalent weighting of the Nox's Park 1. So both detectors have more than 1 Park mode, but they are optimized differently.

That seems simple, it's still a park mode, use park 3 when comparing the Legend, you're still in default modes of the same type, it's not difficult to explain why park 3 was selected.  The Equinox has park 1 and park 2 so you've still got to make a choice which to compare, to be complete ideally you'd compare all stock modes.

So many decisions for a Noob to deal with. imagine if they came in different colours too.🙂

Some sort of base scale would be handy though, eg. Should pick up a 10c at 20cm out of the box for park, 50cm beach or some such and adjust from there. As I don't use it much, I find my old Quattro pre-sets  find enough when out with the kids to make it enjoyable. I'm sure those more serious would want more, just as I do when gold detecting. After working my way up to the ZED it's hard to use another PI with confidence, and I'm sure VLF is the same, but harder, having no real King of VLF machines, there seems much confusion.

Modern advanced detectors use several sophisticated programs that are sufficiently optimized for the given type of detection... which are fine-tuned by field testers for the given type of detection... and therefore I would recommend new detector users to rely on the program they choose for the given purpose of detection. ..

The important thing is to understand what the given program is supposed to do in detection... and that's why we'll start using the beach program for beach detection,,, because it guarantees the stability of detection in such an environment...,,and in field detection, use the preset Field program.. .., and for detection in the park, we will use the Park program...because these programs also have optimized settings/and the type of multifrequency/ for this kind of detection...

The programs make it easier for you to decide... how to set the detector correctly... without having to have deep knowledge about how to set the detector correctly....

If you are an experienced user, you can edit these programs and even better set the individual program for your field conditions..be it for better separation in iron or depth of detection....

Comparing the Programs of one detector with another Detector is a bit tricky because you have to know the detectors you are testing well enough...and know which programs are similar.....and often this cannot be done without detailed separation and in-depth testing..

IMG_20220531_141807.jpg

• Like 3