Golden Mask Universal Telescopic Handle

One of these days I am anticipating getting the V4 update for the XP Deus and along with that the new 4.7" x 9.5" DD coil. This should be a great coil not only for better "see through" capability is thick trash but a very good prospecting coil. The V4 update is supposed to include the ability to use 15, 30, and 45 kHz but only with new coils designed to operate at those frequencies. The 4.7" x 9.5" coil is the first of the coils designed to work at the higher frequencies. The Deus running at 40 kHz with this new coil should be a formidable gold prospecting device for trashy locations in particular.

I did not want to have to swap my 11" coil around with the new coil and XP rod assemblies are a bit pricey. The full rod assembly is $264 and just the lower rod is $57.00

I had heard about the Golden Mask Universal Rod Assembly for sale at on eBay for about US$120 plus US$30 shipping from Bulgaria so ordered one on May 31 and it arrived today just over two weeks later. There was no issue buying the item and the seller answered questions promptly. That seller is gone now so here is a link to the manufacturer website.

The bottom line is the rod is much higher quality than I imagined it would be. The tubes are carbon fiber. The armrest assembly looks like cheap plastic in the photos but is powder coated metal. The rod locking rings have rubber grip surfaces and are some of the best I have ever felt. The unit collapses to 21" and expands to 55" with a weight of 1 lb 1.8 oz without the included armrest strap compared to XP rod assembly at 1 lb 0.4 oz also without arm strap. Slightly more weight but also more compact when collapsed. The end is 5/8" diameter and same bolt as the XP. The rod is just a tiny bit loose in the XP coil ears but will work. It is a hair tight on White's coils but also will work. It would be loose on most other brand coils and bolt too small. However, many lower rods will swap out with the lower rod on this unit so should be easy to mate up with most anything.

I am very pleased with this purchase.

golden-mask-universal-metal-detector-rod-assembly.jpggolden-mask-upper-and-lower-rod-assembly.jpggolden-mask-universal-metal-detector-rod-hand-grip.jpggolden-mask-universal-metal-detector-rod-armrest.jpggolden-mask-universal-metal-detector-rod-locking-mechanism.jpggolden-mask-universal-metal-detector-rod-coil-connection-detail.jpg

• Like 6

Steve,great review,must admit i use my GM shaft on my Deus all the time,not tried the shaft for other detector setups as yet but may try and graft my Vaquero or even the TDI Pro.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review Steve, I've been pondering over making a purchase for one of these, more for the heavier 13x11" coil than in anticipation of the new V4.0 coil.  

There is also the option to purchase just the top section of the Deus shaft minus the lower rod (XP Deus S Lite telescopic shaft), which does make it more affordable.  It''s often advertised on French ebay stores for around $180 US incl shipping.  Considering all Deus coils are normally supplied with a lower rod and mounting hardware, there's probably no real need to go to the added expense of buying the full Deus shaft assembly.

The MarMD universal shaft assembly which you previously posted might also be a good alternative.  Although it is not advertised as being suitable for the Deus, the fact that it can be used with every other XP Detector in the range which uses the Deus shaft, you would think the Deus coils should be a straight swap.  I'm sure you could also jury rig a mount for the main control box on this shaft with some creative thinking.

So many options!

Cheers.

I wish they had telescoping shafts like on my camera tripod legs. You flick a lever up ,adjust to any length, then lock the lever back down, no spring loaded balls to mess with and almost infinite adjustment.

• 1 month later...
On 21/06/2016 at 1:25 AM, tvanwho said:

I wish they had telescoping shafts like on my camera tripod legs. You flick a lever up ,adjust to any length, then lock the lever back down, no spring loaded balls to mess with and almost infinite adjustment.

TB electronic does right????

German made

http://www.david-detection.com/canne-droite-telescopique-tb

RR

On 21/06/2016 at 1:25 AM, tvanwho said:

Most of the later RedHeat machines made by the late Vic Fiveash used the alloy telescopic legs off a tripod,must admit they did work rather well,almost bought a Redheat but what i did not like about it was the reverse discrimination on it,that did take some getting use too,but folks across the pond liked them for relic hunting,but alas when Vic passed away about 4 years ago no one was prepared to take over the repair and service of the detectors,alas the design of the Redheat detector and how they had been built went to the grave with Vic.

Steve,

Re: the looseness

The rod is just a tiny bit loose in the XP coil ears - do you have the single washer that comes with the standard XP coil set-up?

9 hours ago, RickUK said:

Most of the later RedHeat machines made by the late Vic Fiveash used the alloy telescopic legs off a tripod,must admit they did work rather well,almost bought a Redheat but what i did not like about it was the reverse discrimination on it,that did take some getting use too,but folks across the pond liked them for relic hunting,but alas when Vic passed away about 4 years ago no one was prepared to take over the repair and service of the detectors,alas the design of the Redheat detector and how they had been built went to the grave with Vic.

More like 10 years he passed away right???i remember going to his workshop in Peckam in 2000/2001 he was building the MK11 at the time and asked me to step on one of the case which i crushed with my light weight........the locking system on his early stem was good too but 2 parts ........i bought 1 mk 2was very powerfull ....i was offered 2 with 2 oils each for 150 quids i said no.......the guy who bought them made 400 quids on the lot...........but he pay me a lunch  

RR