Hello New To The Hobby

I just picked up my first detector. A minelab Equinox 800.  I'm in the Long Term Visitors Area (LTVA) Quartzite AZ. Lots of Quartz all over the place most of it was probably moved over the years by campers.  Anyone have a suggestion where to legally search?  I've been looking for coin and jewelry in the immediate area around my camper but all I've found are nails ??? Lots of them? And strips of wire. I'm getting hits on some things but the ground is so hard and compacted from years of heavy camper traffic.  We will only be here for a few more weeks before heading towards Texas then north towards Michigan .  Just looking for suggestions from anyone that's been here before. I'm not necessarily looking for gold nuggets "That would be Nice" just to practice and maybe find some coin.  There is a big Wash running through the town I believe is still on BLM land.  It's lots of softer sand not packed down . Anyway sorry for a long question in really new at this just looking for advice. Thanks happy hunting.

You can detect pretty much anywhere on BLM, but be aware of mining claims. There are tons of claims as you get close to the hills in any direction out of Quartzsite. A good option for some claim options is the Quartzsite Metal Detecting Club. Very inexpensive and you can join at the Miner's Depot. They have monthly outings, but the season is winding down and I'm not sure if there are more to come this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Hello New To The Hobby