Hello I'm A Newbie Just Picked Up My First Detector A Equinox 800

saboken

Just saying hi, I'm as new as you can get to this hobby, my wife agreed to dropping the gran on a equinox 800 2 days ago 😀☺️ hopefully I find for cool stuff as we travel the USA. We started full time in a RV about a year ago to see the country as we retired. Hope to get some valuable information from the forum.  I've always wanted a detector and watched others use them from a distance. Now that I have one it's nothing like I thought lots to learn about the sounds etc . 

• Like 4

I am glad to see that you picked the best forum on the net by far, and hope to be reading of some of your adventures in the near future.

Please feel free to ask questions on the forums if you should need help.

Good luck and good hunting.

I also have a 800 and I find that it is one of the easiest detectors to use.

I use the factory setting and have found many nice items with those settings. I dig almost everything just so that I don't miss out on a gold ring or something better.

• Thanks 1

You probably have the 11 inch coil and that is what I used for most of my detecting. Silver is normally around 29 to 39 depending how big it is. The ground to hard, try a miners pick to loosen the ground.

You might have gold in your area and I have never been in that area so I can't tell you what it might ring up as.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

You probably have the 11 inch coil and that is what I used for most of my detecting. Silver is normally around 29 to 39 depending how big it is. The ground to hard, try a miners pick to loosen the ground.

You might have gold in your area and I have never been in that area so I can't tell you what it might ring up as.

I was giving an extra bigger 15" (I think it's packed away) coil free they said I can exchange for a smaller one when they get more in next week. I'm not sure if I want to do that or try to trade it for a pointer? They said they can't get pointers in recently for some reason? 

• Like 1

I really like their pointer also as it is very good.

The 15 inch coil would find more small gold if your in the right area, but I use the 10x5 Coiltech , and it is really good for working the creek banks where I am at.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Thanks 1

Welcome from East Texas.  Enjoy learning the hobby & traveling around this beautiful country.

Welcome to the hobby and congratulations on your first detector. The Nox set a standard for the best coin detectors on the market today.

You have a Simultaneous Multi Frequency (SMF) detector. As such, it is much more prone to Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) noise and detector instability, when compared to single frequency detectors. To limit that noise, reduce the detector's sensitivity and/or use a smaller coil that won't be as suspectable to EMI.

Also, IMO, anything over about a 9x6 coil is too large for trashy sites. Something like a 9x6 coil will be much more comfortable to swing than the stock 11" round coil, will separate and unmask much better, and will be less prone to EMI and ground noise.

Welcome aboard the forum and to full time RVing as well !

If I could have only 1 extra coil for my 800 . I'd probably get the smaller one ., it'll be  worth it's weight in high density target areas.

The 10x5 VL mentioned is becoming very popular ! 

The 15" is a great beach coil , A bit heavy till you get your arm built up though ...😎

Try to get permission to detect at all the campgrounds you stay in ,

Practice digging invisible plugs  in lawns .

Fill yer holes and get out there and wear that detector out !

Give the wife first dibs on jewelry and she'll smile when you say you're going detecting........and maybe even when you want a PI.😉

A huge amount of useful info in Steve's guides.  

• Like 3

Welcome to a great hobby and treasure forum. I have the Nox 600 and simply hunting in the factory preset modes after a noise cancel and sensitivity of 20 or so will find you plenty of treasure. Practice on coins of various sizes and commonly found trash items and listen to the various tones and what the target I d readings show. Most importantly, simply have fun. Good luck! HH Jim Tn

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Hello I'm A Newbie Just Picked Up My First Detector A Equinox 800