Testing D2 Programs On The Land That Time Forgot

That's a lot of targets. Quite a few decent finds & some pretty glass too. A good hunt & you learned some more.

• Thanks 1

Nice haul!

I call it the Land that Time Forgot. I know that others probably have way worse dirt, but for my area, this is it for me. It is an old coal mining area close to home that is strewn with coal, coke, magnetite, hot rocks, all manner of iron from microscopic to huge, and man-made metal trash of all varieties.

Sheesh. I don't think you can worse than that. Ok, maybe if it included snakes and scorpions 🙂

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Nice haul!

Sheesh. I don't think you can worse than that. Ok, maybe if it included snakes and scorpions 🙂

Actually the snakes and scorpions and tarantulas are just about due to wake up. I did find a freshly shedded snakeskin hanging out of a hole, so it's almost time to put the anti-snake gators back on! 🐍

But when the bears start waking up, it'll be time to move on. 🐻

• Like 1

Those are the types of targets and finds that make a relic hunter as well as an early coin and token hunters mind run wild.The very kind that keep us motivated and chugging along and working to the point of exhaustion.Keep at it Cpt! Oh and I really like the piece with the diamond pattern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice hunt and outstanding photo, seems to be on another planet! If that  soil is mineralized, please try also with a program I did for my hematite area, called Focus1: sensitivity 94/97, audio response 5, reactivity 3, iron volume 3/5, silencer 0, ground stabilizer 1. It’s based on program 2 but with Pitch and PWM audio. If iron sounds too much high, set silencer on 2 and if machine isn’t as stable as you want, set ground stabilizer on 2. I have to say that I look for little, low conductive targets and this is program I use on mineralized soils. Bye for now!

• Thanks 1

What a great write up. Lots to try if I can ever get out. 

• Thanks 1

Wow Cap'n, nice hunt. 👍 I'd call that place "The Land Where Time Moved On", but albeit desolate, here we are. Beautiful photos and great story. Love that you found a Merc in all that nothing! They do like to hide under bushes tho. 🤔 Many of your bits are cool as well, especially the jewelry and the old marine band harmonica which looks like false teeth 😀 that hair piece is a work of art!

No need to bribe me with the Spanish, guess I've been doing ok in that category 😎 Relic Reaper is for those that went to leave iron behind but hear it all.

In coming up with the Reaper, I wanted something that would pretty much bypass iron by letting me decide. All I ever seem to read are complaints about iron falsing, but after fiddling a bit with what made sense to me, opening up discrimination and not notching anything stood out as a way to let the chips fall where they should. I noticed Silver Slayer was very good at that, so I expanded the theme but eliminated the notch.

I don't have that problem anymore, eliminating one of the two abundant materials in most of my sites. A slight turn to a 90 degree will almost always cause that audible "dive". Guess it works well in PWM too, I try that from time to time but switch back to square.

I'll be trying it in Culpeper in a week or so, we'll see how it works there.

If I dug the iron I pass on, I'd have quite the collection of horse and ox shoes, but also enough plow parts to build a destroyer. 😀 While we don't have a lot of rocks here, I believe the clay and marl are enough to snap the toughest stuff. That and in some cases over 400 years of farming.

Great post! 🏆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks F350! Your Relic Reaper program was the best of the lot for revealing iron with minmal falsing. It inspired my wide open Fast Full Tones program which acts very similar with iron. I can hear it all, but with the Iron Volume at 3 it doesn't overpower the good targets and reveals itself on the 90° turn. Most of the iron I only dug to verify or because it sounded like something interesting like a lock or spike.

I was also testing wide open vs notched programs. I found that using a low Disc (0-6.8) with low Notch (10-30) with Pitch audio helped to find good targets in the vast iron debris and switching to wide open (very low Disc and no Notch) with Full Tones and slowing down helped to hear the deep whispers and that seems to work really well. The D2's audio is amazingly descriptive.

• Like 2