I Was Wrong

Strick I can not argue with you.  My point is the original Equinox was the must have detector that was impossible to buy in the beginning, the Manticore is selling like it is just another detector.  Cabela's had 14 in stock when I went to bed last night and now they have 13 in stock.  Not exactly flying off the shelf.  I wish you all the luck in the world with your Manticore, but I think you can find anything with whatever machine you use.  It's like anything else, skill of the craftsman is more important than the tool used. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Stalker said:

Strick I can not argue with you.  My point is the original Equinox was the must have detector that was impossible to buy in the beginning, the Manticore is selling like it is just another detector.  Cabela's had 14 in stock when I went to bed last night and now they have 13 in stock.  Not exactly flying off the shelf.  I wish you all the luck in the world with your Manticore, but I think you can find anything with whatever machine you use.  It's like anything else, skill of the craftsman is more important than the tool used. 

Totally agree. Guys I know that have them are no dummies , we'll except 1 but he is mentally challenged. It is difficult to admit after one waits and spends all this $ on a Manticore to admit there are some faults/flaws in it. To admit being wrong or have regrets. Bottomline here is : it hasn't found anything a Nox couldn't. But I think this could change due primarily to beach conditions. They are both good machines. But $500-700 more ? NO

On 3/21/2023 at 7:37 AM, The_Stalker said:

Agree as well. Remember the 800 was new technology back then with great features and at a lower price point designed to compete with Garretts fleet of coin jewelry and relic detectors. It had a very nice display and the menu was easily navigated..mission accomplished for Minelab. I think what you guys are seeing is the result of a higher priced detector an uncertain economy (Id be willing to bet most metal detector sales are lower)  Also there is the youtube dummies that shoot their mouth off before they learn their machine.

Is the M-Core a unicorn of sorts? is it a black sand beach killer? is it a pick up and go machine like the 800?...nope this one takes a little time to learn but it does have some very nice features and more power I've had mine to the beaches, parks, foot hills etc...since mid Dec

strick 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

it hasn't found anything a Nox couldn't. But I think this could change due primarily to beach conditions. They are both good machines. But $500-700 more ? NO

That may be a POV?  The Manticore will produce more finds than the Equinox. [and I really like the Equinox]
  One should pay attention to poster "meggie" over on Friendly Forums to see what the Manticore can do from someone who is swinging it. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, strick said:

Also there is the youtube dummies that shoot their mouth off before they learn their machine.

Top that with people who seem to know so much about this detector's capabilities (or lack thereof) without ever having one in their hands.  And, in case you (generic) haven't noticed, that occurs at sites other than YouTube; one in particular comes to mind.

11 minutes ago, midalake said:

That may be a POV?  The Manticore will produce more finds than the Equinox. [and I really like the Equinox]
  One should pay attention to poster "meggie" over on Friendly Forums to see what the Manticore can do from someone who is swinging it. 

I do look at his posts. But he isn't out here. Point being it is not a blow it all away machine. Let's see the Manticore in blacksand against 7 others with Nox's. I have , and they were all getting the same. Of course I'd still like a Manticore. But my DF is still eating them alive.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's a hobby. People want to have fun while detecting. If the Manticore helps you to do that then that's what a hobby is about. I'm going to get one just for the extra fun factor that it will give me. Life is short folks. The only sure thing in detecting is my wife's purse, everything else requires serious digging. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My acquisition story+

thousand hours on 800, 30ish maybe  on  the 3030, and started reading about the mantiwhore, and thought, sounds interesting a replacement for the etrac.  Then started reading about its magical unicorn properties and the near mythical impossibility to acquire one....literally 3 days into reading about it and laughing at reviews based on screen shots of an advertisement clip (remember those) a retailer with a decent rep on FB said someone backed out, shot him a note, he said there was a list he was waiting to hear back, I said Dude, I'm literally waving money at you, right now, called back next day 1500 shipped....   now 3 months later....yeah, its ok, it closes the gap on the 3030 and weighs less..dont think its 500 better than the 800...that you can buy used for 500 bucks. I do see potential in it, not happy with Minelab marketing ploy, but its my 3rd ML machine, I'm sure my tone will be different (see what I did there) after a hundred hours and a handful of silver. I do LOVE some of the features, auto backscreen, flashlight, the thing is a wee bit longer than either 800 or ctx, so my sweep is about 15% or so wider, that center line..I keep calling it the 12 line, definitely fancier than the 800 in its details, would like to see storable programs etc but...then they couldn't sell the newest ctx, eh?

Just waiting for the new CTX 4040 or whatever it'll be called to be released and it starts all over... I DO hope they issue a software upgrade to fix some of the glaring problems for our manti's, mine will rarely see beaches, 99% of my thrills are midwest parks and early 1900's sites a sprinkling of mid 1800 sites