Scuba Diving And Metal Detecting...

Any divers out there? I'm considering getting my scuba certs so i can detect a few old port areas. Any input or thoughts would be appreciated.

Specifically, is it much more difficult diving and detecting? How does the d2 handle diving? Do you have much success ocean diving or would you say time is better off spent just searching above water level?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

Any divers out there? I'm considering getting my scuba certs so i can detect a few old port areas. Any input or thoughts would be appreciated.

Specifically, is it much more difficult diving and detecting? How does the d2 handle diving? Do you have much success ocean diving or would you say time is better off spent just searching above water level?

I have been diving for 40 years, and have used my Tesoro tiger shark in southern California beaches. I primarily hunted areas where scuba shops took their students on their first beach dives. Leo Carrillo beach was one of my favorite do to the fact of many beginning divers would lose their gear coming through the surf, mostly their weight belts, dive knives, but at times other gear too. The key is to keep your stuff together, especially the detector, should be on some cord connected to your arm in case of rough entry / exit through the surf or wash zone. Most of my finds were in the intertidal zone, the area that is covered when the high tide and low tide. A ping pong paddle worked out the best for me as all I had to do is use the paddle to fan and move the sand, plus it was easy to tie down to my arm, and it didn't react to the detector. Diving with a detector is challenging in the pacific coast along california because it rough waters, IMHO detecting beaches would be more lucrative, many of these guys who hunt beaches find more gold than those of us who hunt gold nuggets with detectors. I would still get your scuba cert as its nice to be able to rent and scuba dive anywhere in the world. 

Or get a Blu3 Nemo or Nomad? It's still a good idea to get certified for diving whether using surface supplied air or compressed air. I am hoping to use my Nemo or Nomad in Maui in a couple weeks along with a deus ii. Ususally I beach detect but have been really wanting to try underwater detecting.

4 hours ago, matt said:

Or get a Blu3 Nemo or Nomad? It's still a good idea to get certified for diving whether using surface supplied air or compressed air. I am hoping to use my Nemo or Nomad in Maui in a couple weeks along with a deus ii. Ususally I beach detect but have been really wanting to try underwater detecting.

I do dig the nomad but 30 ft just isn't deep enough. I want to spear fish, detect, and explore. If the price came down id do it for freshwater swimming holes but at that price i can get a killer scuba setup that gives me way more flexibility. Another problem is that i want to dive a few rivers which will push the nomad downstream. It is just limited... cool but limited.

I am glad you are considering scuba certification. It is a lot of fun and opens your options up in terms of gear, either surface supplied or using the standard SCUBA setup. My wife and I both dive on vacations (at least pre-Covid) and it is truly an enjoyable experience.

I would not metal detect until you get a few dives in and become comfortable using the equipment. Also, it is standard practice to dive with a buddy. I know you may only be diving shallow but as a new diver it is a good insurance policy.

If you go the surface supplied SCUBA route ( using a Nemo or Brownie's Third Lung) you might want to consider purchasing an independent air source such as a small pony bottle and regulator set or a SpareAir  https://www.spareair.com/

A SpareAir is nicknamed a "crack and sniff" in diving but if your surface supply unit stops suddenly it will give you a few minutes to sort out the issue or ascend. 

Last, if you encounter a problem underwater be prepared to abandon your metal detector. You can always buy another detector but your life cannot be replaced.

• Like 2