Large Carbonaceous Meteorite?

Hello everyone I need some seasoned experts to take a glimpse at my find and judge if I'm right this is a meteorite or meteor(not).

I've had this rock in my collection for some time and upon resent researching I read that Carbonaceous Meteorite are composed of millimeter sized chondrules called a matrix.

This rock in my post has weathered fractured breaks, thumb prints shaped holes, rounded, and grainy like sand.

Ill try to weight is and get it's mass and volume to check the rocks specific gravity.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong or right thinking this is a meteorite.

IMG_20230318_152101_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230318_152016.jpg

PhotoRoom-20230319_014248 (3).png

PhotoRoom-20230319_014456.png

How large is your specimen and in what sort of environment did you find it?  Carbonaceous chondrites, while very common in the solar system, are very uncommon on earth.  They tend to weather easily and are easily mistaken for earth rocks.  Since you describe it as grainy like sand, I am thinking it may be a tafoni (honeycomb or Swiss cheese-like) weathering patten on a piece of sandstone.  This kind of weathering is common in arid environments. But as a kid, I also found a lot of rocks like that along sections of the Pacific coast.

Take a very close look at it with at least a 10 power hand lens. Are the individual grains spherical?  Sandstone can have rounded, angular, or sub angular grains. But if your individual grains are not comprised of at least a significant portion of spherical grains, then I would say it is a terrestrial sandstone. Another thing to look for would be the composition of the grains.  If your grains are composed of olivine (glassy green) and pyroxene, then the odds of it being a meteorite would be greatly increased. But, if you simply have quartz grains, then it is a sandstone.  

• Like 1

This looks like a river rock, if you can show the inside of the rock then we can say more, but in general does not look like any kind of meteorite.  

• Like 3

Does not appear to be a meteorite, or carbonaceous chondrite, at that. CCs are very rare, they make up less than 5% of all meteorite falls. 

The rounded holes in your rock may appear like regmaglypts, but they don't match up from the ones seen in meteorites, and the rock seems to be water-worn. I agree with Hardtimehermit that it's probably some sort of river rock.

• Like 2