Which XP Deus 2 Coil Would You Choose For The Beach?

Detectornado

Which XP Deus 2 coil would you choose for the beach?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which XP Deus 2 coil would you choose for the beach?

• 9" Coil
    • 11" Coil
    • 13x11" Coil

If you could only choose one coil, which one would you choose for long hours on the beach and why? The 9", 11" or 13 x 11"? What are your experiences with the weight and balance of these coils in combination with the standard or lite stem?

coils_beach_d2.jpg

• Like 5

That's a great bit o' photo editing there Detectornado. 👍

Gotta ask, why is the 9" floating away? 😀

• Thanks 1

I have the 9" and the 11x13. The 11x13 is WAY heavier than the 9" and changes the feel of the detector. It's not that it's heavy, it's just... slow feeling. I guess it is simple physics. It takes more effort to swing but also more effort to stop. If you have shoulder issues it might be a problem.  That being said, the coverage is fantastic and i notice no difference in tones or vdi vs the 9". Battery life seems the same and i dont feel the shaft flex that you'll hear others mention.  

I'd recommend the 11x13 based on my beaches which are low-trash and low population. I dig a bit more as the precision isn't there but i am certain i find more with it because of the large coverage. I don't think you can go wrong with it. It is also great to have a second coil for those really long days or in case you forget to charge one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have both the 9 inch and the 11 inch coil.  While the 11 inch coil does cover a little more area.  I can run the 9 inch coil hotter in areas that have EMI.  And using the 9 inch coil in a 15  inch or more deep hole is easier.  I really think that the Deus 2 was designed around the 9 inch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got all three, and find I'm using the 13" most often now, this is because the relic sites I hunt are pretty flat, not like last year with all the corn stalks. The farmers all planted cover crop instead of winter wheat for the most part, it was more profitable to not plant wheat.

I seriously doubt that will change much in the coming months when I get out to beaches and campgrounds, but I'll have the 9" handy to hunt tot lots and other places to small for the 13". I may keep the 11" for a handy backup, and sometimes will use the 9" on the WS6 Master. I like that rig but it seems a bit delicate.

• Like 2

So with DD coils, does it still hold true that the smaller the coil, then the smaller the target can be detected? If so, then can the 9" outperform the 11x13 on chains, small earrings, and small gold rings?

Granted, the larger the coil, the better the coverage, but due to EMI and ground noise, can the 9" outperform the 11x13 because it can be run at a higher sensitivity level?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

So with DD coils, does it still hold true that the smaller the coil, then the smaller the target can be detected? If so, then can the 9" outperform the 11x13 on chains, small earrings, and small gold rings?

Granted, the larger the coil, the better the coverage, but due to EMI and ground noise, can the 9" outperform the 11x13 because it can be run at a higher sensitivity level?

I can tell you that I've used all 3 coils relic hunting, and as long as there aren't a lot of stalks the 13" has been killing it. I have gone over areas later with the 9" and found nothing else. The 9" is going to be more efficient for separation and maybe isolating smaller targets, but the 13" is going to find them faster. 🙂

Maybe some of the wizards can explain it better, but I really like ellipticals.

• Like 3