Europes Largest Metal Detector Distributor Gives Minelab The Boot

Yikes.

This comment from the article is interesting:

There must have been more to this than we are seeing. A company like IDC would not just drop Minelab on a whim and to do it so publicly indicates that the problems ran a lot deeper than poor communication. 

Then again, I heard a rumor???, that Minelab was threatening to end ties with some dealers / distributors that also sold, or wanted to sell Nokta products. Anyone know if that was true?

• Like 1

Here is the direct link to IDC confirming cutting all ties with Minelab.  I think many of us can relate to their gripes.

https://www.idc-detektor.de/magazine/Wichtige-Informationen-zu-Produkten-von-Minelab

and a translated version of their notice:

Important information about Minelab products

We regret to inform you today that we have made the decision to no longer offer Minelab branded products.

There are various reasons for this decision. The catastrophic or non-existent communication about the availability of the new models is only part of it.

Our policy has always been to offer our customers the best possible experience.

This not only includes honest and competent advice, but also professional service and respectful communication.
But this is only possible if we have an equally respectful and trusting relationship with the manufacturers we work with. Because we will not sell any products to our customers if we do not also stand behind the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, Minelab has disappointed us greatly with their behavior over the past few months and has made it impossible for us to stand by them and continue our relationship. We did not take this decision lightly, but further cooperation is not compatible with our principles.  

We are ending all cooperation with Minelab, which means we are stopping direct sales and distribution to all dealers as general agents for Germany, Austria and Switzerland. In addition to the products, we will no longer offer technical support for Minelab products in the future.

We always strive to act in the interest of our customers, so we hope you understand our decision. Even without Minelab, we still have an extensive range of products from fantastic brands for all explorers and outdoor enthusiasts.

We look forward to continuing to offer you the best metal detector experience and our beautiful hobby.

Important information for you:

Repairs, warranty and guarantee cases

• If your Minelab device is currently being repaired by us, we will continue to process the case as before.
  • If you have bought a Minelab tool from us in the last two years and are having problems with it, you can of course also contact us about the warranty.
  • However, if you have an out-of-warranty problem with your Minelab equipment, or you did not purchase it from us, please contact Minelab directly:

Email: service@minelab.ie
Minelab Service: www.minelab.com/eur/support/service-support

pre-orders

For the Minelab Manticore we had set up a waiting list for customers. Unfortunately we have to cancel these pre-orders or reservations. If you are on the waiting list, you will receive a separate email. This also applies to the Equinox 900.

Availability

We still have a few Minelab products in stock that are available in our webshop. These will be sold off and after that we will not receive any new products.

• Like 1

Aren't this mob a Nokta agency? No big deal if they get cranky with Minelab who in my opinion build better detectors. (even with their faults)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Aren't this mob a Nokta agency? No big deal if they get cranky with Minelab who in my opinion build better detectors. (even with their faults)

Thats the first thing I wondered as well....perhaps Minelab yanked them and for PR they make it look the other way around....

strick 

• Like 1

This announcement and its claimed justification seems parallel with what's going on in the USA for at least some long term dealer relationships.  (I'll let those directly involved take it from here.  😑)

Is there a mail-order but otherwise non-expert at metal detecting outlet in Europe and Great Britain similar to our Cabela/BassProShops here in the USA?

We wanted competition.  We finally got competition.  Minelab/Codan has taken on the competition (as should be expected) but apparently not with the finesse and grace they could/should have.  They are getting blowback from more than just the detector manufacturer competition.  But it's that competition that allows this kind of action.  Thank you XP and Nokta.  Now, ML/C, it's your turn to do more than just design/engineer/build excellent detectors.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

From what I've found out on "Treasure Hunting World" Facebook page:

There are no distributors as large or well-equipped as IDC. And they distribute to the whole of Europe, not just a single country

IDC are the main distributor for many brands in Europe. They also have a huge service and repair centre.

I.D.C has a newly acquired partnership with quest

• Like 1