Europes Largest Metal Detector Distributor Gives Minelab The Boot

On 3/20/2023 at 6:55 PM, phrunt said:

IDC are a multi line distributor selling Nokta, Quest, Garrett, C.Scope, Bounty Hunter, Fisher, XP, GDI and Groundtech along with lots of smaller accessories brands so who knows if their association with Nokta is anything to do with it, I highly doubt it though but I guess they'll be pushing Nokta brand from now on more so than ever.   It could be the fact Minelab are including a distributor in the US in the court case with Nokta.

Sounds like it has everything to do with it:

"We reported a few days ago on how the International Detector Center (IDC) based in Germany, suddenly dropped Minelab from the brands that they distribute. The reason for this course of action was not entirely clear at the time. Although we did speculate that there was more behind it than was explained in the statement put out by IDC.

We now know the main reason behind IDC dropping Minelab.

It is alleged that Minelab gave IDC an ultimatum. If they wanted to continue to distribute Minelab products in Europe they should cease their partnership with Nokta and also Quest. 

In Nokta’s case, we assume this is to do with the current lawsuit that Minelab filed against the company in the USA for patent infringement. Something that Nokta strenuously denies.

But why the pressure to drop Quest? The company recently announced their new range of simultaneous multi-frequency machines. Initially, their SMF tech was called “SimultiQ” however it seems that there were legal concerns around the use of this name. Perhaps Minelab objected as it was too similar to their own “Multi-IQ”. As a result, Quest renamed it “HyperQ” however, this may not have been enough for Minelab. Do they also suspect patent infringement here too? 

Whatever is happening in the industry right now, is not good for manufacturers and certainly not good for customers. If indeed Minelab is using pressure tactics to try and force distributors and dealers to stock their products at the expense of other brands, this can only end badly for Minelab. No one likes a bully!"

Link to above story- same publication the OP linked to.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SeabeeRon said:

For me, the sad part in all this, it is the End User, those who swing the detectors that are the real losers!

We can vote with our wallets.  The Quest V80 is looking pretty good to me.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, phrunt said:

We can vote with our wallets.  The Quest V80 is looking pretty good to me.

Yeah, you showed them Simon by waiting at least a month before getting that Manticore. :laugh:  Sorry, couldn't resist.  Glad you are showing strength by not hopping on the XTP.  I Broke down and just purchased a ML product myself...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yeah, you showed them Simon by waiting at least a month before getting that Manticore. 🤣

Someones gotta do it! It was hard, took a lot of will power but I really showed 'em!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why won't Garrett make a new v3i spectrum and they have everything in their power to polish it it would be a hit in all possible territories ,Garrett is a decent company and I always meet deadlines

• Like 1

My guess it the code for it was written for old obsolete hardware, maybe even easier to start all over again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, phrunt said:

My guess it the code for it was written for old obsolete hardware, maybe even easier to start all over again.

Agreed.  The more I think about it, I think Garrett made the right move pivoting to take on ML on the PI front, where no one else has really challenged them.  The market is saturated with SMF derivatives of Equinox/Manticore (Legend, Deus 2, and the forthcoming Quest V60/80).  Garrett basically released a proof of principle SMF with Apex to demonstrate they still had the engineering chops to stay relevant with the latest IB VLF detecting tech trend but focused their development horsepower on Axiom. 

After Quest drops their SMF offering out there, I anticipate a lull in new releases of mid-to-high-end SMF detectors.  Perhaps a perfect time for Garrett to make a splash with a new AT SMF flagship of their own while others (Nokta and Quest) try to counter ML's XTP. 

• Like 2

Don't forget the upcoming release of the Rutus Versa. If it is priced right they may pick up some distributors and make some inroads in the market.