Just searched out this board while looking for info on Happy Camp “jade”.   A friend gave me a chunk the size of two softballs that his Dad had found there in the 50s.  It was medium dark green and I was able to get three 3/4 inch slabs and plenty of smaller stuff for cabs.  I belonged  to Sun Lakes Rock and Gem club in Sun Lakes, Az and was thrilled to get the piece.  Out of the 3 slabs I was able to make a Zuni bear,  Buffalo for myself and  another bear for him.  They polished beautifully and are treasures I will probably never part with.  Plus I was able to polish approximately 20 cabs of different sizes before we left Arizona and moved back to Oregon.  The cabs range from dark deep green to light mottled green.  Plus I still have a good portion of cut unpolished cabs.  I need to find somewhere to finish these.  Very interesting stone for rings, inlays and pendants.  It’s great to hear a bit about the source and some history.  

Can’t upload photos for some reason

• Like 1

I live in this area. The specimens that are shown are very typical of what you can find in scattered places. There is a valid mine in the vicinity, so you have to be careful where you collect.

There is one very good spot right next to the Forest Service road where you can see a great amount of float that gives you a huge selection to choose from. It seems like the whole hillside is awash in float HC Jade. Many people have picked over this one place because it is so accessable, but there are others that are not as noticeable if you drive slowly and look carefully for the Jade  that has been exposed by weather. This sometimes leads to a good find where you are the first one to see it. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you know how to test if it is lesser jade or the good stuff but in that area there are both. Take a knife and scratch the rock with the tip of the knife. If it scratches the rock and leaves a white line then it is jadite (lesser jade). If when you scratch the rock and it leaves metal on the rock, which will look like you wrote on it with a #2 pencil then it is the good stuff. It leaves metal on the rock because it is harder than the knife blade. I was there for a month prospecting in febuary of 2009 and detected around indian creek. I will take some pics of the jade I found this weekend but I  had one around 10 -15 lbs and was dark green with much darker green inclusions and I found another on the klamath river which is about the same size and weight but is sea foam green with dark green inclusions. Both specimens left the metal on the rock all around the boulders.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone one new to forum. I was just up there looking for HC Jade. Did not know exactly where to look for it and didn't want to claim jump. Digger Bob do you have contact info for guide?

I did stumble on patch of ripe Black Cap Raspberry.