How Much Time Do You Spend At A Site

Usually 7 hours on a relic site, in the summer I go 4 hours a day in the morning on the beach, at home, 6 or 7.

• Like 3

Too much. I'm somewhat lazy about asking for new permissions so I tend to pound the crap out of older sites until there's literally not even a single repeating signal. Not very productive I know, but it helps me learn my detectors.

• Like 3

Depends on a few diffirent factors.The weather is the main thing when I gets up over 105 degrees and there is not a whole lot of shaded areas to hunt then that gets a little rough.Same goes if it is cold and raining like a heffer pissin on a flat rock for hours at a time.Another thing is how motivated I am by the quality of finds I'm digging.One thing for certain is that I've learned the hard way to force myself to quit when I have reached the point of exhaustion. Because my digging becomes dangerously careless and we all know what can happen then.

• Like 5

IT seems there is some confusion as to what "time" you're referring to -- a single hunt or the accumulation of all hunts. @stateguy Please clarify.

With all the demands of life currently between children, elderly struggling parents and work, time detecting is hard to find.  When I get a chance to detect the things that end my hunt are hypothermia, starvation and/or wetting myself.  Anything other than that I can usually push through and keep hunting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There are a number of factors that come into play, but I have a few spots in my local that I started hunting on about 1980 and continue to frequent on occasion to this day. Every time I purchase a new detector with fresh technology, I will give some of these spots a try.

I hunt every day, weather permitting, early mornings averaging four hour hunts. From Aug of 2021 to June of 2022 I hunted an old golf course that was closed for renovation. That is the only local site I hunted for that entire time frame. It, however, unbeknown to anyone, had seen Civil War activity and making recoveries of bullets, buttons, 2 plates, 2 Spanish Reales, half dimes, U S large cents, Seated coins and more modern era cents and silver coins was more then enough incentive  to hunt it as often as I did. A golf course, naturally, is many acres in size and size and results thus are a couple of the factors that come into play for determining how long I spend with a spot. HH jim tn

• Like 6

Depends on if I find a coin line or not. If I do, I'll hit the coin line hard and double/triple check around the the area for missed targets.
If it's parks, I also spend alot of time. 

• Like 1