Target Trace Issue

Manticore users may wish to investigate on their own machines to see if this is an issue that needs to be reported to Minelab.

• Like 2

wow, looks like a significant firmware bug there.

Yes that is interesting I have moved the bottom ferrous line up and successfully notched out bottle caps that ring to the right of the preset notched out area (there are a few caps that will sound off in this area) but I don't wave a cap over it while doing it so I wonder why thats happening? If i get time I may try that 

strick 

Weird. However in the 50 or so hours I've used the Manticore in parks and house sites that would have bottle caps I haven't dug a single bottle cap using the stock ferrous limits in the Fast or High conductor programs. My beach is old and doesn't have bottle caps, so I can't say if in the beach programs I would have an issue or not.

• Like 1

I fooled round with this yesterday evening for a couple minutes.....my machine does the same thing kinda..it will creep up but not to the extent his does....I was not set up as comfortably as he was to just reach over and wave the cap consistently over the coil while raising the ferrous ... if you just notch out the area whilst not waving a cap over it then there is not this creeping  up thing. Like I said above I have successfully notched out bottle caps esp when park hunting and if I dig one it is usually intentional just to prove it ..the kind with aluminum foil can sometimes be sticklers...I asked him a question on that video but he has not got back yet. 

strick 

• Like 3

A person emailed the link to the video to a Minelab engineer and here's what he said as copied from the comments:

"Thanks for sharing – I’ve seen this one. Believe it or not, this is expected behaviour for weaker low conductor targets. Equinox has done the same thing since update 2, the only difference is that it doesn’t have an ID map to visually show it doing it to the user. If you wave the target closer to the coil it will stop doing it. It is a feature that helps keep depth on weak low conductors in mineralised ground – especially important for the thin hammered coins they have in the UK and Europe."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, strick said:

If you just notch out the area whilst not waving a cap over it then there is not this creeping  up thing. Like I said above I have successfully notched out bottle caps esp when park hunting and if I dig one it is usually intentional just to prove it ..the kind with aluminum foil can sometimes be sticklers.

I think you've proven it's a software bug and not an actual problem with the overall firmware, some little error in the code that I'm sure they'll fix in a firmware update.  The more information they can get on it the better so it never hurts to contact them and let them know your findings, it's best to contact service in Australia to get the info direct to them rather than messing around with their US middlemen counterparts.

• Like 1