Trying To Decide Between GPX 5000 Or GPX 6000...

I've been researching the Minelab detectors and I would like to make a sizeable upgrade from my VLF detector (GB2). I would like to own a new PI detector that can handle hot ground better than the VLF machines can. I should first point out that I will mainly be using the detector for hunting meteorites, but I foresee myself hunting for gold in the coming years as well.

Currently there is the great deal going on with the 6000 for $4500. I have also been looking at the GPX 5000 as it can be found used for around $2000-$2500 on ebay. I've read a lot of posts saying that the GPX 5000 is a good all around detector and can handle hot, mineralized ground quite well. 

On the other hand, there have also been great reviews on the 6000 for finding small gold, and the ease of use and lighter weight is very attractive as well. 

Just wanted to ask what you guys think the better option is for handling hot, mineralized ground, as that would be the primary ground I would be hunting starting out. I'm leaning towards the 6000, but I've heard that it can have issues with hot ground, and if that's the case, then I might just want to get a used 5000 at first, and then I can always upgrade to the 6000 in the future...

My main considerations are cost and handling hot ground. I can deal with the heavier weight that the 5000 brings but if the 6000 truly is leagues ahead of the 5000, then I will probably go with the 6000. 

If light weight and simplicity is what your looking for go with the 6000 or the new Garret-If you change your mind and want complete control  I have 5000 with extras I might sell you and I live in scottsdale as well-Let me know Good luck 

• Like 1

jmo....go with the 6.  Had a 5000 and swung it for about 10-12hrs and quickly decided to sell it.  All the stupid cords, batteries, harness, bungee, headphones, etc. always getting hung up in the brush constantly drove me batty. The 5 definitely has the smoother threshold over the 6 imo.  The light weight 6 is a pleasure to swing compared to the 5 and you don't have to be tethered to the thing.  One other thing.... With all the multitude of different settings available on the 5 it would be my guess that quite a bit of learning time would be needed to fully get the most out of the 5...????  Didn't have mine long enough to find out...lol   JMO's

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gaustad18 said:

I've been researching the Minelab detectors and I would like to make a sizeable upgrade from my VLF detector (GB2). I would like to own a new PI detector that can handle hot ground better than the VLF machines can. I should first point out that I will mainly be using the detector for hunting meteorites, but I foresee myself hunting for gold in the coming years as well.

Currently there is the great deal going on with the 6000 for $4500. I have also been looking at the GPX 5000 as it can be found used for around $2000-$2500 on ebay. I've read a lot of posts saying that the GPX 5000 is a good all around detector and can handle hot, mineralized ground quite well. 

On the other hand, there have also been great reviews on the 6000 for finding small gold, and the ease of use and lighter weight is very attractive as well. 

Just wanted to ask what you guys think the better option is for handling hot, mineralized ground, as that would be the primary ground I would be hunting starting out. I'm leaning towards the 6000, but I've heard that it can have issues with hot ground, and if that's the case, then I might just want to get a used 5000 at first, and then I can always upgrade to the 6000 in the future...

My main considerations are cost and handling hot ground. I can deal with the heavier weight that the 5000 brings but if the 6000 truly is leagues ahead of the 5000, then I will probably go with the 6000. 

PM Sent

16 hours ago, Gaustad18 said:

the better option is for handling hot, mineralized ground, as that would be the primary ground I would be hunting starting out.

The other question I suppose is, just how hot your hot ground is?   Hot for your VLF might be nothing to a P.I. 

Always great to try before you buy so perhaps hiring/loaning a 5000 and a 6000 to spend a day or so with might be a good idea. 

The 6000 is certainly nice ergonomically.  However, the lack of control of settings can mean there will be places that you just can't use it. 

I would put the Garrett Axiom in the mix also - decent price, good ergonomics, more control. 

Good luck with your choice  👍 

• Like 1

I don't know what all the fuss is about with the GPX 5000 being labelled heavy, it's not too bad at all and you can lighten it up pretty easily.  Once modded it doesn't weigh all that much more than a GPX 6000 and having a bit of weight on the back of it with the battery/control box actually helps if you wanted to use bigger coils to balance out the detector, the 6000 is terrible with the 14" DD, so out of balance.  The 6000 is great and nice and light running small coils though but do you do that with meteorites? I'm guessing you're not really after absolutely tiny targets.

Here is my 5000 next to it's younger brother the 6000.

IMG_0587.jpg.72884720557f350ed930deaac6ec7ebb.jpg

It has a light weight lithium ion battery pack, lasts 13 hours on a charge, 13400mAh, the battery itself weighs 450 grams and just goes in my side pocket on the cover.  I have a full carbon shaft on the 5000 too.

IMG_0589.jpg.1f20eeae28496376c16edfce147cb8ba.jpg

It looks tiny in there as the cover is made for the standard GPX battery.

IMG_0590.jpg.d04d924774d5a5cd57ef9154dc2b9480.jpg

Jut plugs in with a short little attached lead.

IMG_0591.jpg.df4f814348ef77423ea571ae27204e4e.jpg

Has a charge indicator.

And for a speaker I have the JBL wind on there, very loud audio with adjustable volume, way louder than the pitiful speaker they used in the 6000.

The 5000 maybe an oldie but it's a goodie and handles hot rocks far better than the 6000, the 6000 is more sensitive to small gold though, and finds gold the GPX 5000 misses for various reasons not just size.  It may come down to which is best for meteorites seeing that's what you're using it for and that I don't know, hopefully someone else pipes up and lets you know.

I really like the 5000, it's just so versatile, I really like the 6000 too.

IMG_0592.jpg

• Like 4

Amigo já vou ser sincero, não tenho nem um aparelho de PI utilizo um gold monster VLF, estou no mesmo caminho que você, atualizar no futuro para uma indução de pulso. Tenho a mesma duvida que você. Mais vou dar minha opinião baseado no que já vi e no que já estudei sobre os aparelho de PI.

Bom, qual escolher GPX 5000 ou GPX 6000?

A GPX 5000 não é uma máquina pesada como falam pelo menos sem a bateria, foi onde eu peguei ele montado numa revendedora aqui na minha cidade, agora a GPZ 7000 é muito pesado, minha coluna até sentiu o peso dá aquele aparelho, mas é uma baita maquina e o sonho de qualquer garimpeiro.

A 5000 foi fabricado para Prospecção de Ouro e Relíquia Profunda, elá tem uma gama de bobinas COILTEK, se seu objetivo for encontrar objeto profundo a 5000 pode ser uma boa opção.

Outro ponto que não pode falta que a 5000 ele é mais complicado de configurar. Ele lida bem com solo altamente mineralizado, a 5000 é mais para aqueles que querem encontrar objeto profundo; por isso, tem mais opção de bobinas para ele, se não estou errado, me corrijam se não estou enganado, os maiores achados de todo mundo foi encontrado com GPX 5000 e a GPZ.

Agora a GPX 6000 quando peguei no aparelho é outra coisa leve, muito leve, pode caçar na mata ou no morro em lagos nos lugares mais difícil essa maquina vai de boa, sem falar na configuração é muito simples e só ligar e começar a detectar.

Ele foi feito para encontrar pepitas minusculo quanto pepitas grandes. A 6000 é mais para ouro, todo seu hardware é desenvolvido para encontrar ouro da natureza. Aqui no Brasil esse aparelho foi bem aceito, ele lida muito bem com solo mineralizado e não deixa passar nada.  

Além disso, a GPX 6000 está acima do GPX 5000. Por isso tem que ver oque você quer realmente procurar se for pepita grande ou relíquias profunda a GPX 5000 com a bobina COILTEK 22 pega muito fundo, já vi vários video de teste com essa bobina o resultando foi surpreendente.

Aqui no Brasil esses aparelho é muito caro GPX 5000 R$ 17.849,90, gpx 6000 R$ 36.339,90.

Estava vendo o valor que você colocou e me surpreendi aí na sua região é muito barato. Talvez no futuro eu junte um dinheiro e você poderia comprar um para mim e enviar, acredito que seria bem mais em conta.

Quando escolher, não deixe de postar qual você decidiu e por quê. Abraço e boa sorte com os achados.

31 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Não sei por que tanto alarido com o GPX 5000 sendo rotulado como pesado, não é tão ruim assim e você pode aliviá-lo facilmente. Uma vez modificado, ele não pesa muito mais do que um GPX 6000 e ter um pouco de peso na parte de trás com a bateria/caixa de controle realmente ajuda se você quiser usar bobinas maiores para equilibrar o detector, o 6000 é terrível com o DD de 14 ", tão desequilibrado. O 6000 é ótimo, agradável e leve, mas funciona com pequenas bobinas, mas você faz isso com meteoritos? Acho que você não está realmente atrás de alvos absolutamente minúsculos.

Aqui está meu 5000 ao lado de seu irmão mais novo, o 6000.

IMG_0587.jpg.72884720557f350ed930deaac6ec7ebb.jpg

Ele tem uma bateria de íon de lítio leve, dura 13 horas com carga, 13400mAh, a bateria em si pesa 450 gramas e cabe no meu bolso lateral na capa. Eu também tenho um eixo de carbono completo no 5000.

IMG_0589.jpg.1f20eeae28496376c16edfce147cb8ba.jpg

Parece minúsculo lá dentro, pois a tampa é feita para a bateria GPX padrão.

IMG_0590.jpg.d04d924774d5a5cd57ef9154dc2b9480.jpg

Jut se conecta com um pequeno cabo curto.

IMG_0591.jpg.df4f814348ef77423ea571ae27204e4e.jpg

Possui indicador de carga.

E para um alto-falante eu tenho o vento JBL lá, áudio muito alto com volume ajustável, bem mais alto que o lamentável alto-falante que eles usaram no 6000.

O 5000 talvez seja um velho, mas é um presente e lida com pedras quentes muito melhor do que o 6000, o 6000 é mais sensível ao ouro pequeno e encontra ouro que o GPX 5000 perde por vários motivos, não apenas pelo tamanho. Pode se resumir a qual é o melhor para meteoritos, visto que é para isso que você está usando e que eu não sei, espero que alguém se manifeste e informe você.

Eu realmente gosto do 5000, é tão versátil, eu realmente gosto do 6000 também.

IMG_0592.jpg

Ola frunt já tive o prazer de pegar no GPX 5000 aqui na minha cidade numa revenda e notei que não é tão pesado como falam, da para trabalhar de boa com o aparelho. Aqui no Brasil já teve relato de garimpeiro onde o solo é muito mineralizado, a GPX 6000 não conseguiu dar conta do recado devido à alta sensibilidade do aparelho para pepitas minusculo, onde o solo é normal o aparelho trabalha bem. 

Me fala um pouco sobre a GPX 5000, qual a configuração ideal para encontrar pepitas profundas, e as configurações para encontrar pepitas menores.

Ai na sua cidade ta custando quantos uma GPX 5000 usado e novo.

I always hear how you can mod the 5000.  But how much extra $ does all the mods cost in addition to the not cheap cost of the 5000 before the mods....  maybe the cost of 2 5000's...?????

Not sure about US pricing but the JBL Wind speaker is $40 NZD ($25 USD) and has brilliant loud audio.

https://coolmobile.net.nz/products/jbl-wind-wireless-speaker?_pos=1&_sid=db9b2ab6a&_ss=r

For those not into using speakers you could just plug in a Bluetooth LL transmitter and use wireless headphones, they don't cost much at all, $20 or so from memory.

The Standard Lithium battery ready made is $158 AUD ($106 USD), it has a runtime of 7 hours but is lighter at 350grams or the High capacity Lithium battery is $228 AUD ($153 USD) with 13 hours runtime.  The batteries come with mounting stuff for the control box so you don't need the canvas cover I'm using and the cord between the battery and detector is integrated into the battery.

https://detectormods.com/shop/63/lightweight-battery-kit

Then there is the carbon shaft, I'm not sure the going price on them, JW kindly gave me the one I'm using but it doesn't change the weight all that much and isn't a necessity.

So the mods don't cost all that much really, and if buying a second hand GPX 5000 the battery it comes with is obviously used so buying a new battery isn't a bad idea anyway.

Gets rid of needing any cords hanging off the thing, I don't find it heavy at all.

• Like 1