Axiom Videos From Randy’s Treasure Adventures

These are not my videos, but a series being posted by Randy’s Treasure Adventures starting a couple weeks ago, with the last just posted today. I’ll add more if any appear later. I don’t know Randy or anything about him, and frankly I’ve not even watched the videos. I’m sure something can be gleaned from them one way or the other though by those that watch videos so here they are.

Mar 12, 2023 I spent a few days in the Arizona gold fields recently and here is the first of several videos comparing the Garrett Axiom to the Minelab GPX6000. They’re not the same, but how different are they from a results standpoint?

Mar 18, 2023 Scouring a hillside in the Bradshaw Mountains with the Garrett Axiom, looking for a nugget patch. The Axiom is light, powerful, and well balanced for this task! Also a little view of operations on one of our claims with a fun quad ride.

Mar 22, 2023 Another day comparing the Axiom to the GPX 6000. I could not help myself and had to film multiple waterfalls, and in this video, you only get to see a sample of the waterfalls that I stopped and and took video of. The high desert in Arizona is just so picturesque. It’s hard not to lose focus and just take pictures!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The first video has an interesting comparison starting at the 3:45 mark.

Only one detector turned on at a time during the comparison. 

Gold is found eventually. 

The gentleman using the Axiom is just learning it.

The gentleman using the GPX 6000 with NF coil knows what he is doing for sure.

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to make the videos.  I don't have either machine but thinking hard about both the 6000 and the Axiom.  I have a GPZ 7000 and love it but reached the point where rigging up to swing the beast is taking some joy away from the hunt.  

• Like 1

They both struggle a fair bit with ground noise, then he puts the magnet to the ground and shows the black sand and that makes sense, he also said the ground was covered in snow a day or two earlier too which I guess the damp soil made it worse.

The guys got his Axiom maxed out, doesn't seem a good idea to do that with the Axiom. 

The GPX seemed to do a bit better over all, but doesn't really mean much when the guy using the Axiom is running maxed out so it's playing up a bit, he's just learning the machine though.

It was nice to see the sort of areas you guys hunt in, similar to here in many ways.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

The guys got his Axiom maxed out, doesn't seem a good idea to do that with the Axiom.

Yes I also wondered about that when he made the comment and, remembering Steve's comments about how Garrett cranked up the sensitivity settings in the production Axioms.

I’ll just say the reason I posted the videos without even looking at them is that, as far as I’m concerned, the 6000 and Axiom are both good detectors. Some will prefer one, some will prefer the other. Some like me would be happy using either, and reality is I don’t feel any need to push one over the other. Just review as many information sources as you can if shopping both, and rest assured whatever you choose, you’ll be fine. :smile:

But yeah, new Axiom owners, run the default sensitivity or a notch higher or lower, no more, until used to the machine.

Axiom Sensitivity - A Must Read For All New Owners!

• Like 5

I liked the videos, but I agree there were a few things that threw me off about settings. Any chance to test against a known standard, especially with the small gold that the 6000 can see, is great. Add that iron rich dirt and you’ve got a great little comparison. For me this is the best kind of metal detecting “test” video, real world against other like models with neither side denigrating the other’s capabilities and just being open to seeing what could be found.

As I was learning my own Axiom, my property gave me mostly iron and shotgun brass caps….so when his Axiom found that sweet solid target sound and then overload once it was out of the ground I knew exactly what he had found. So for me that was a nice little confirmation of things I had seen happen.

• Like 1