Unidentified Copper From Near A Ca Catholic Mission

Anyone have any idea what this might be? I doubt it is mission related but you never know! Found on the beach  near a mission...

20230325_145250.jpg

• Like 2

Does the back have anything on it, perhaps fragments of text? Or is it just flat?  Is there anything around the rim which may indicate a loop for a chain was ever attached?

• The title was changed to Unidentified Copper From Near A Ca Catholic Mission

Very nice find!

That looks like an old stamped religious medallion or button face. I found a very similar looking artifact that turned out to be the front of a two-piece button from a priest's coat.

Here's the button for reference.

IMG_2144-2000.jpg

• Like 4

Could be a button front, or maybe a Victorian era front to a broach, hat pin, or something stamped out.  IMHO it's not mission period, I think Western era or later.   Maybe @Tom_in_CA will take a peek.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Could be a button front, or maybe a Victorian era front to a broach, hat pin, or something stamped out.  IMHO it's not mission period, I think Western era or later.   Maybe @Tom_in_CA will take a peek.

Thanks cal. I messaged with tom a bit yesterday. I appreciate the help from you all. The hunt goes on

23 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

Thanks cal. I messaged with tom a bit yesterday. I appreciate the help from you all. The hunt goes on

And my answer was that it doesn't mimic the norm of medallions we find at alta CA mission period medallions.  (1770s to ~ 1830s)  But heck, nor does a lot of the medallions they find in Britain necessarily mimic the type that seem to show up in our CA mission sites either.  But as we know :  They're super old.  

You say "found on a beach", so do you mean : On the beach itself ?  Then in THAT case, 50 or 75 yrs. of perpetual in-out surf action can create the effect of making an otherwise modern medallion, look old.  Even if you found it in the higher dry sand, yet :  That sand could have been prior inter-tidal zone (since beaches erode out and sand-back in, such that was is sand dunes NOW was not necessarily dry in the 1950s, for example).  

So if you found it on the beach, then my guess is modern.  Well, I mean it could still be 1920s or 1950s or whatever, but it's not unusual for regular wheaties to take on an "ancient look" and emerald green after getting beach kissed for 50 to 90 years.

Also, you gave me the name of the mission, and I pointed out to you there's not actually a mission where you pointed out.  Oh sure, it was within the realm of influence (place names, outlying ranchos, etc...) of a CA mission.  But so too can the same be said of most all of the coastal real estate from So. CA all the way to north of SF, and the coastal valleys .

• Like 1

Am i seeing a figure standing over another?  If so it's depicting a bible story scene.  Mary praying over Christ's body??                   

• Like 1