I Walked 8 Miles For A Button

F350Platinum

Great hunt, great button, beautiful place.

Is that your heated gloves on your detector?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Great hunt, great button, beautiful place.

Is that your heated gloves on your detector?

No, and I wished I brought them for the first couple hours, but the red clay and rain would have messed them up. πŸ˜€ I had heavy socks on so my feet stayed warm. It never got above 52 despite predicted 71.

Great find Bob.Β  You worked hard for that one and it's a beauty.Β  I got skunked for the first time ever there and that did not feel good at all (decided not to just remain static and dig bullets in the well known CW camp firing range - been there, done that a few years back and came away with over 80 minies in one day).Β  But that's the nature of the detecting "biz".Β  But learned A LOT about how that Axiom behaves near Culpeper with the small 7x11 DD (had already made a couple runs with the larger stock DD) and different settings.Β  Hopefully, that knowledge, plus a little better luck, will serve me well at DIV this week.Β  But you never know.Β  It's typically boom or bust at these events as the CW finds diminish with every visit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

It's typically boom or bust at these events as the CW finds diminish with every visit.

You'll find plenty at DIV for sure, if we go to Liberty Hall again the fringe areas and woods are the way to go. πŸ™‚

For a noob I was grateful to get ONE thing πŸ˜€ it didn't seem like there was much overall, and most of it came from the woods. There's still a lot of area we haven't been over there. I was really pleased with my program overall, but it definitely was a different animal there. Undesirable finds were all "false and cut".

Wish I had more time to create a better program for red dirt, but I did test the Reaper against Relic, and it went just as deep. πŸ‘

• Like 1

Good to know it did well in that dirt. I hope to get down that way sometime to detect and maybe pan for a little flour gold.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one F350! Glad the Reaper performed for you in those conditions. 8 miles of swinging a coil is a good hunt at 36, never mind at 63. I have a year on you but like you say, the Deus is light enough so it is really just all about keeping your legs in shape.Β 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TJ Jeepguy said:

Good to know it did well in that dirt. I hope to get down that way sometime to detect and maybe pan for a little flour gold.Β 

Thanks TJ. Chase calls that area the "gold belt", there might well be some in the Hazel River that flows through the farm. I have no idea how you would get in there, but you also might get some CW relics as well. Hope you get a chance!

I'm used to hunting my area where there is no gold, and "them thar hills" are maybe 200' max. 🀣 All my terrain is flat for the most part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColonelDan said:

An exciting find.  You beat me with that one.  😊

Good job soldier…..πŸ‘πŸ»

Thanks Colonel! it was a hunch that paid off. Even though we're taught not to "skyline" ourselves, some can't resist being King of the Hill, I guess... 🀣

• Like 2