I Walked 8 Miles For A Button

F350Platinum

1 hour ago, Lodge Scent said:

Nice one F350! Glad the Reaper performed for you in those conditions. 8 miles of swinging a coil is a good hunt at 36, never mind at 63. I have a year on you but like you say, the Deus is light enough so it is really just all about keeping your legs in shape. 

Thanks LC, can't imagine getting anywhere without 'em, getting a little Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot, but still plugging away. It will go away when I start beach hunting I hope.

I wonder if they make orthopedic shoes for metal detecting... 🤔

Well that was a hard fought and hard won button! Congrats, it's a beauty, well done!

Wow Emoji-100.jpg

It's nice to see the D2 can handle the infamous red clay of Culpepper.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well that was a hard fought and hard won button! Congrats, it's a beauty, well done!

Wow Emoji-100.jpg

It's nice to see the D2 can handle the infamous red clay of Culpepper.

Thanks Cap'n!

We met a couple of YouTubers there, one fella said he got a bunch of bullets and a 1940s silver quarter with his Equinox 800 using gold mode, but they all came from the woods. He said that people would think he's nuts but I say whatever works. 👍 The other talked to Chase at length about the Axiom, and they looked for some in a large earthwork there that was a backstop for a range. That's way out of my range so I looked elsewhere. 😀

The "false cut" I wrote about was that you'd get a high tone, and instead of it diving to a low tone it just cut out (cancelled) in another direction. After digging some junk I got used to it. The button was a solid 72 I managed to pick out of some iron around it, kind of a shock to have the 13" do so well but it's not coming off the CF shaft soon! 🙂 

The big takeaway from all this is that I get a deeper appreciation of my own area, I'd hate to have to hunt there all the time. 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

The "false cut" I wrote about was that you'd get a high tone, and instead of it diving to a low tone it just cut out (cancelled) in another direction. After digging some junk I got used to it. The button was a solid 72 I managed to pick out of some iron around it, kind of a shock to have the 13" do so well but it's not coming off the CF shaft soon! 🙂

Yep, that was a consistent junk tell there and in sharp contrast to the Northern Neck mild dirt farmland.  One thing that I found interesting is how Deus 2 does ground handling.  When you and I were out there, Bob, I went with the 9" coil because "conventional wisdom" would say it "sees less ground" meaning that it would be masked less by ground feedback.   You on the other hand went with the 13x12 which afforded better coverage.  I was glad that we could compare and contrast targets and it showed that with the Deus 2 there did not appear to be a masking penalty associated with going with the big coil.  That is key.  We are talking fully pegged D2 mineralization meter soil here when pumping the coil.  It does not get any hotter than that magnitude wise.  So that is something I will consider under similar circumstances when coverage is key.  In the woods, the smaller coil may afford some maneuverability, but coverage was the order of the day when you have limited site access time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks TJ. Chase calls that area the "gold belt", there might well be some in the Hazel River that flows through the farm. I have no idea how you would get in there, but you also might get some CW relics as well. Hope you get a chance!

I'm used to hunting my area where there is no gold, and "them thar hills" are maybe 200' max. 🤣 All my terrain is flat for the most part.

That area is definitely in the eastern gold belt. I’m in western PA where there may be a spec or 2 if you’re lucky, but I still enjoy the thrill of the find.  Mostly I enjoy showing the few specs I get to my friends and family just to prove I’m not crazy. 

I plan to head down to the Rappahannock  river for a weekend this spring to do a little recreational panning and hopefully detecting if I can. The campground owner says I’m welcome to do both, but I’m pretty sure I’ll have better luck finding gold and old bullets at a local pawn shop 😀.  Should be a nice weekend away with my wife at least. 

• Like 2