Victoria Large Nugget Find

6 hours ago, geof_junk said:

A YouTube Link of find. 

......YouTube LINK.....

The two bits fit together perfectly I wonder if he hit it with his pick.   

The link Simon posted also shows a picture of the two pieces held together.  I wonder what the collector value would be if it were still in one piece compared to as is now....

It's interesting to think about today vs. 1 1/2 centuries ago.  Back then there were no collectors to bid the price up above bullion value which I assume is why those record sized nuggets from back then no longer exist.

• Like 1

Found East of Ballarat on private property. The finder was relying on the screen target ID to dig or not. It broke apart when he dug it up.....only a foot deep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• The title was changed to Victoria Large Nugget Find

Unusual for something like this to be be found east of Ballarat as most of that country is volcanic and covered by extensive basalt flows. There are several gold fields east of Ballarat, but they are not noted for big gold.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

Unusual for something like this to be be found east of Ballarat as most of that country is volcanic and covered by extensive basalt flows. There are several gold fields east of Ballarat, but they are not noted for big gold.

Is it a case of possibly found somewhere else, wasn't meant to be there so said it was found there maybe? 🙂

There have been remarkably good nugget finds in our "public fossicking areas" here.

If you guys ever find the one that has my name on it, please let me know 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Is it a case of possibly found somewhere else, wasn't meant to be there so said it was found there maybe? 🙂

ooooh I love a good mystery. So how does this all work I wonder? So, to throw everyone off the scent of the real high value area that our Equinox amateur found, he moves it to another area that doesn't have the right geology for it? Yeah, that's probably it…or is it?…
I cannot wait for the next chapter...🧐

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1