Why Does The Legend Default To 2 Tones In Park And Beach Modes?

I have finally been able to do some hunting with my Legend over the past couple of weeks and really like the increased performance due to the last few updates.

However, one still has me baffled.  In update 1.07 this change was made:  6. The default Number of Tones for Park and Beach modes have been changed to 2.

Like many hunters, I am a tone guy.  Yes, I know it's easy enough to change to your preference but I'm just curious as to why Nokta/Makro would make 2 tones the default.  I was at the beach yesterday and couldn't understand why I was only getting one high tone on various coins.  Then I realized I had done a factory reset recently and sure enough the 2 tone default was back.

FYI I dug a quarter in the wet sand at 18" (measured) running sensitivity at 28. 

Next up is a return to the parks to see how the bottlecap reject performs.

Bill

• Like 5

Bill, version 1.11 software also has Park defaulting with 2 tones, recovery speed 5 and iron filter on 8. I think Beach still defaults to 2 tones also.

I can only speculate. Park is probably used a lot by new users and beginners. Having Park Multi on 2 tones (ferrous/non ferrous) recovery speed 5 and iron filter 8 really simplifies things for a new user.

Personally, I would probably hunt saltwater beaches in default 2 tones or the 2 tone Pitch audio anyway so that one makes sense to me.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Bill, version 1.11 software also has Park defaulting with 2 tones, recovery speed 5 and iron filter on 8. I think Beach still defaults to 2 tones also.

I can only speculate. Park is probably used a lot by new users and beginners. Having Park Multi on 2 tones (ferrous/non ferrous) recovery speed 5 and iron filter 8 really simplifies things for a new user.

Personally, I would probably hunt saltwater beaches in default 2 tones or the 2 tone Pitch audio anyway so that one makes sense to me.

Jeff,

The problem for me with 2 tone is that if you hit a zinc penny field (like I did yesterday) and hunt by tone you have to check TID on every hit.  Once I got back to 6 tones I could avoid them.   The Legend is interesting in that it hits chewed up zincs as 38's and good ones as 41's. 

Bill

• Like 1

All four SMF detectors that I currently use can have a big target ID spread on zinc pennies depending on what condition they are in.

I use 6 or Full tones for coin and jewelry most of the time. The Legend and the other SMFs I use have such good audio ID accuracy that I often don't look at the screen until I am ready to pinpoint a target for recovery. The audio tones tell me plenty about each target.

For a beginner, that much audio variation may be too much sometimes.