Stability In Beach Mode

Has anyone played around with the stability setting in Beach Mode?  The manual kind of contradicts itself on this setting when it states on Page 17:

The stability can be set between 1 to 5. The default setting is 5.
Level 5 will offer maximum stability. As the stability is increased
though, the signal of lower conductors such as gold with 11 ID may
diminish and the chances of missing these metals will increase.

As a beach hunter I am after gold as I think most beach hunters are so why would the default be the maximum value that might cost you the good stuff?  I'm going to do some testing myself on small gold and change the value to see what difference it makes but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this setting.

Hi Bill.

I think the St is set high, for the same reason that the IF default is high. More specifically, the St is set high for maximum quietness and stability in high salt / black sand conditions. The IF is set high until newbies know how to use the IF, lest they get iron falsing and erroneously blame the detector. 

It seems that having those high defaults is "playing it safe" until the end user is comfortable with understanding and utilizing those controls.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Hi Bill.

I think the St is set high, for the same reason that the IF default is high. More specifically, the St is set high for maximum quietness and stability in high salt / black sand conditions. The IF is set high until newbies know how to use the IF, lest they get iron falsing and erroneously blame the detector. 

It seems that having those high defaults is "playing it safe" until the end user is comfortable with understanding and utilizing those controls.

What he said for sure.

Some detector software engineers set defaults on these more complicated SMF VLF detectors very aggressively (XP). Others like Nokta go in the other direction and setup defaults so the detector will behave a little better for newbies.

9 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

I'm going to do some testing myself on small gold and change the value to see what difference it makes but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this setting.

Hey Bill

You may be one of the most experienced beach hunters that have a Legend>>>>show us the way! 

• Like 2

On 28.03.2023 at 18:10, Bill (S. CA) said:

Кто-нибудь игрался с настройкой стабильности в пляжном режиме? Руководство как бы противоречит самому себе по этому параметру, когда на стр. 17 указано:

Стабильность можно установить в диапазоне от 1 до 5. Значение по умолчанию — 5.
Уровень 5 обеспечивает максимальную стабильность. Однако по мере увеличения стабильности сигнал нижних проводников, таких как золото с ID 11, может уменьшиться, и шансы пропустить эти металлы возрастут.

Как пляжный охотник, я гонюсь за золотом, как и большинство пляжных охотников, так почему по умолчанию установлено максимальное значение, которое может стоить вам хороших вещей? Я собираюсь провести несколько тестов на мелком золоте и изменить значение, чтобы увидеть, какая разница, но мне любопытно, есть ли у кого-нибудь опыт работы с этой настройкой.

Какие используете настройки на пляже?

On 3/28/2023 at 5:25 PM, midalake said:

Hey Bill

You may be one of the most experienced beach hunters that have a Legend>>>>show us the way! 

Well I don't know about that but I'll try to share some info.  Today I took my Legend out and did some air testing with several gold targets.  I was in Beach Wet, Sensitivity at 18 due to EMI, and ran several gold targets under the coil, changing the stability setting on each one, starting at 1 and going all the way up to 5.

You will see three photos: 3 - rings (2 - 10k, 1 - 14K),a 10K gold cross, and a small 10K gold earring.

The Legend would hit the gold rings solid at every setting from 1 - 5.

It would only hit the cross on 1 and 2.  By 3 it was an iffy signal that I would most likely ignore.  At 4 and 5 the detector did not see it.  I did try running the sensitivity up despite the EMI and it made no difference.

The small earring gave a repeatable signal up to 3, then vanished at 4 and 5.  Again, increasing sensitivity did not make a difference.

I have run my Legend in heavy black sand with a sensitivity of 28 with very little falsing at a stability setting of 1.  Coin targets and bits of cans hit solid and deep.  I wish I could tell you that gold did the same but I am in the midst of a "low conductors are always crap" streak so you know how that goes.   My advice on Beach Stability is to run it at 1 and only adjust it if absolutely necessary.  If you do have to increase it, I would go no higher than 3 and would try to stay at 2 if possible.  But whatever you do, DO NOT run The Legend with the preset value of 5 if you want to find small gold.

Lastly, if any of you were readers of Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine you may recall that I did a field test on The Legend for the October 2022 issue. Thanks to the latest update V1.11 The Legend is a radically different and more powerful detector than it was prior to the update.  Back when I field tested it in August/September, it was very capable at the beach but could not compete with the multi-frequency heavy hitters.  That is no longer the case in my opinion. The depth and stability in the wet sand is noticeably different and in comparing signals with buddies using the two current multi-frequency kings of the beach The Legend matched every signal.  The Legend is a serious contender for beach hunting and right now it is my machine of choice.  I am anxious to try the new LG30 coil which I hear is quite good.  When I get my hands on one I'll share my results with you folks.

0401230942.jpg

0401230950.jpg

0401230953.jpg

• Like 3

That was valuable information Bill. Thank you for the test 🙂

That's some really bad EMI if you had to drop the sensitivity to 18. In my really high EMI sites, I have to drop the sensitivity to about that. It's at that point for me, that SMF loses it advantage , I then switch to 40 khz and am able to max out the sensitivity. Then again, I don't have salt or magnetite ground to deal with.

Are you using the stock 11" round coil? There is no situation that I would use that coil over the LG24 9.5x6 coil. Sure, the 11" has very slightly more coverage, but the LG24 is far superior in every other aspect. 

From what I've heard and seen, the LG30 is also a notably better coil than the round 11". Compared to the round 11", the LG30 is significantly lighter, is less prone to EMI, has better separation, and gets better response at depth. 

2 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

and ran several gold targets under the coil, changing the stability setting on each one, starting at 1 and going all the way up to 5.

Stability setting??? Like recovery speed? 

2 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

The depth and stability in the wet sand is noticeably different and in comparing signals with buddies using the two current multi-frequency kings of the beach The Legend matched every signal. 

Yes, maybe? But does the frequency weighting favor gold?  In that wet/black sand zone.

Interesting. I'm going to have to test stability on my tiny gold.